GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: marc  XML
Profile for marc -> Messages posted by marc [4416] Go to Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 219, 220, 221 Next 
Hi Fabrizio

1. admin1 should be there for nearly all entries. admin2 has just been added for adm2 and ppl features.

2. the wrong admin1 code for the toponym "Italy" has been deleted.

Cheers

Marc
Hi Timo

No problem, use the url findNearByWeatherXML :
http://api.geonames.org/findNearByWeatherXML?lat=43&lng=-2&username=demo

Cheers

Marc
Hi Rich

You are right, the ascii and the native name should be the same. I have changed this.

The admin1Codes file is generated from the database and has the same content you find with the search engine :
http://www.geonames.org/search.html?q=ADM1&country=US
The names in the file are the alternate names with the languages code 'en' for English. The states with only the abbreviation only have an alternate names entry for English for the abbreviation and not for the full name. You can help us fix this with the wiki style edit interface. You will have to login since the US toponyms are not editable for anonymous users.

Cheers

Marc
Hi

We find the closest line segment with postgres and interpolate the address in this segment with java using the JTS Topology Suite for left/right.

Cheers

Marc
Hallo Thomas

Für die Bundesländer (adminCode1) verwenden wir zur Zeit noch den Fips Code. Wir planen aber auf den ISO code umzustellen. Die Zuordnung fips Code zu ISO 3166-2 findest Du hier :
http://www.geonames.org/DE/administrative-division-germany.html

Für die untergeordneten Ebenen werden wir sicherlich den AGS verwenden. Wir versuchen immer den bekanntesten Code zu verwenden. Für adminCode1 ist es ISO bzw fips, für untergeordnete Ebenen sind es Länder spezifische Codes. Für Spanien ist dies INE, für Frankreich INSEE, für die Schweiz BFS und für Deutschland sicherlich AGS.
Das steckt sehr viel Arbeit drin, da es in jedem Land wieder anders ist. Falls jemand Lust hat bei der Zuordnung geonameId-AGS zu helfen sind wir und die anderen geonames.org Benutzer sicherlich dankbar dafür.

Gruss

Marc
Thanks,Sami.

I have applied your modifications. Only with the currency for Guernsey I am not yet sure. "GGP" is not an official ISO code in use. Isn't it better to keep the country code for the British Pound?

Cheers

Marc
Hi Timo

This is fixed now. The findNearbyPlaceName returns the alternateNames element.

Cheers

Marc
Hallo Florian

Alle drei bis vier Monate extrahieren wir die Daten aus dem Wikipedia Datenbank Export und laden die extrahierten Daten in unsere eigene Datebank. Die Suchmaschine dazu wurde selbst implementiert.

Gruss

Marc
Hi Isa

These alternate names are extracted from wikipedia and have been entered like this in wikipedia. We extract this information periodically and sooner or later it will be corrected in wikipedia and some weeks later also in geonames.org.

Cheers

Marc
For Spain we are using the following administrative divisions :

ADM1 = comunidades autónomas (17)
ADM2 = provincias (50+2)
ADM3 = comarcas / municipios (*)
ADM4 = municipios

* : In Catalunya we have four administrative divisions with comarcas as ADM3 and Municipios as ADM4. In all other comunidades we have only three levels.
Roman has translated the Metar Weather conditions into Bulgarian. The Metar web services now support Bulgarian (bg) as language parameter. Example :
http://api.geonames.org/weatherIcaoJSON?ICAO=LSZH&lang=bg&username=demo
the same condition in English :
http://api.geonames.org/weatherIcaoJSON?ICAO=LSZH&username=demo

clouds.null= n/a
clouds.SKC = чисто небе
clouds.CLR = чисто небе
clouds.FEW = няколко облака
clouds.SCT = разкъсана облачност
clouds.BKN = разбити облаци
clouds.OVC = плътна облачност
clouds.VV = вертикална видимост
condition.null=n/a
condition.DZ=слаб дъжд
condition.RA=дъжд
condition.SN=сняг
condition.SG=снежни зърна
condition.IC=ледени кристали
condition.PL=ледени парчета
condition.GR=град
condition.GS=дребен град/снежни парчета
condition.UP=неизвестен валеж
condition.BR=лека мъгла
condition.FG=гъста мъгла
condition.FU=мъгла
condition.VA=вълканична пепел
condition.SA=пясък
condition.HZ=дим
condition.PY=водна мъгла
condition.DU=широкорспространен прах
condition.SQ=буря
condition.SS=пясъчна буря
condition.DS=пашна буря
condition.PO=добре изразен прахова/пясъчна вихрушка
condition.FC=димна мъгла
condition.+FC=торнадо/ураган
condition.-=леко
condition.+=твърдо
condition.VC=в съседство:
condition.MI=повърхностно
condition.BC=на малки участъци
condition.SH=проливен
condition.PR=частично
condition.TS=буря
condition.BL=ветровито
condition.DR=дрейф
condition.FZ=замръзване
Thanks the file is included in the database, with the exception of APO/FPO. I am not sure what to do with them. If I understand it correctly they cannot have lat/lng.

Marc
Hi Isa

I don't exactly know what it means. I have the impression that it is used for administrative divisons, often for obsolete divisions after a restructure of the admin divisons of a country.

Marc
Hi Isa

The data for the US is rather trustworthy since it comes from an official source, the US Geological Survey USGS. I believe these locations are ok and no duplicates.

Cheers

Marc
Hi

Thanks for the file. The problem we don't only need zip codes we also need place name and lat/lng as minimal requirements, preferably with state and county information as well.

Cheers

Marc
Thanks Isa. This was a bug in the code.

Marc
In the last days I have updated ADM2 information for Spain,France, Sweden and Norway. Thanks to Isa, Richard, Grimar and Olav for providing the respective files.

Marc
For Sweden we are using the following administrative divisions :

ADM1 = counties (21)
ADM2 = municipalities (290)

not yet included in geonames :

ADM3 = parishes

Thanks to Grimar for the file:
Dan

Thanks.
I have also updated the documentation for the column isoLanguage. We are now including iata/icao codes for airports :
isolanguage : iso 693 language code 2- or 3-characters; 4-characters 'iata' or 'icao' for airport codes, varchar(4)

Cheers

Marc
I have increased it to 4 instead of 3. You will probably have to refresh the page to load the new javascript file.

Marc

Profile for marc -> Messages posted by marc [4416] Go to Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 219, 220, 221 Next 
Go to: