GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: marc  XML
Profile for marc -> Messages posted by marc [4416] Go to Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 195, 196, 197 ... 219, 220, 221 Next 
Hi Andand

First you are calling a JSON service and not an xml service.
Seond you cannot call an xml service with XMLHttp from an other server than the one visible in the address bar of your browser. JSON is the alternative approach to over come this problem. An example is here :

http://www.geonames.org/maps/json-googlemaps-example.html

hope this helps.

Cheers

Marc
There is a button "Attach Files" below the edit field in this forum (click on 'postreply'). Just click on it an you can upload a file to this server.
Or you can send the document to my email address : marc@geonames.org

Cheers

Marc
Hi Olav

Ultimately we want to have all information in the main database. Here the information we already have in the main database :
http://www.geonames.org/search.html?q=adm2&country=NO
Those records don't have an admin2 code yet. We first have to find the codes for them and as a next step we can take all other admin regions from the postal code database and insert them in the main geonames database.

What I need is a short list with the geonameId on one side and the admin2 code on the other.

At the moment the postal codes database and the main geonames database are two different things and we need to merge them.

Marc
For France we are using the following administrative divisions :

ADM1 = régions (22)
ADM2 = départements (96)
ADM3 = Arrondissements (329)
ADM4 = Communes (not yet complete: ca 31'000 out of 36'000)

The official authority for French administrative divisions is the INSEE (Institut National de la Statistique et des Études Économiques).
http://www.insee.fr/fr/nom_def_met/nomenclatures/cog/index.asp
http://rdf.insee.fr/geo/
Hi

Grimar, I have added the codes for the admin2 divisions we already had in the main data base. You can help us checking if we have got all of them and if they are correct.

Olav, you can help us find the codes for the five admin2 divs we already have and I will then add the missing ones with an average lat/lng from the postal code data set.

We want to provide all the information you are asking for. It is a lot of work to organize all this information and we need all help possible. We are constantly working on it and improving. There will never be a 'final build' since this information constantly changes. Countries disappear completely while new ones are formed and even more changes happen on the lower admin levels.

Marc
Hi Isa

The webservices are programmed in java and not yet available for lack of time. I haven't even managed to properly take care of the little geonames code that is available. At the moment the focus is on improving the data.

Cheers

Marc
Hi Isa

While it is possible to edit country and admin1 it is not yet possible to edit admin2. Country and admin1 can be edited if you click on the edit link and then on the country/admin1 name.
We want to move away from the fips admin1 codes to the more widely known ISO admin1 codes. Only after this move can we look at more adminx features.

Cheers

Marc
Half of the missing codes I have received at the beginning of the month are now included. For the others I don't find the code in the TIGER line data set and it is therefore more work to find the lat/lng and county.

Your codes are all included.

Cheers

Marc
Hallo

Wir haben vor zwei Tagen eine neue Spalte 'admin2' eingeführt und diese in der FAQ vergessen nachzutragen. Ist soeben geschehen.

Gruss

Marc
Some US zip codes are missing from our database. A geonames user has sent me an update file at the beginning of this month, but unfortunately I have not yet had the time to integrate it into the database.

Marc
Hi Hultin

I think I would prefer option 2. I can add the translation for IATA to the language name and display : "IATA airport code".
We could do the same for ICAO codes (International Civil Aviation Organization).

Cheers

Marc
Hallo Jan

Addressen gibt es nicht bei geonames.
GoogleMaps hat geocoding für diverse Länder. Für mehr Länder musst du wahrscheinlich einen kommerziellen Service bemühen und weltweite Abdeckung gibt es wahrscheinlich nirgends.

Gruss

Marc
This file looks like it has what you need judging from the file name :
http://mappinghacks.com/data/cntry98.zip
Hi Duchnomad

The reverse countrycode service is only using the dumps as a fallback. The normal way of operating is to use polygons with the country shapes.

Cheers

Marc
Hi isa

Yes there was a problem with the dump this night. The download server also servers as development server and another process was using too much disk space on the same disk the dump is using, so that we ran out of diskspace.

I have deleted some stuff and reran the dump and I will move the dump to another disk for the next dumps.

Sorry about this.

Cheers

Marc
The geonames.org database has been updated these days with the latest NGA release 2007-03-02.

Code:
 27656 Indonesia
 20224 Russia
 14268 Peru
 5418 North Korea
 5151 South Korea
 2814 Bangladesh
 1621 Egypt
 1435 China
 1214 Pakistan
 1145 Eritrea
 862 Niger
 853 Japan
 733 Taiwan
 444 Guernsey
 338 Mali
 214 Colombia
 140 Afghanistan
 118 Ethiopia
 91 Iraq
 64 India
 63 Greece
 51 Somalia
 50 Myanmar
 43 Lebanon
 30 Israel
 21 Algeria
 20 Hungary
 17 Saudi Arabia
 12 Rwanda
 10 Netherlands
 7 Denmark
 6 Slovakia
 6 Sudan
 3 Kazakhstan
 3 Cuba
 2 Greenland
 1 Serbia
 1 Iran
 1 Benin
 1 Palestinian Territory
 1 Georgia
 1 Finland
 1 United Kingdom
 1 Qatar
 1 Ukraine
 1 Montenegro
 ------------
 85561 total updates

27335 Indonesia
 13555 Peru
 4572 Russia
 3928 South Korea
 2758 Bangladesh
 2068 North Korea
 1256 China
 992 Eritrea
 818 Niger
 723 Pakistan
 691 Egypt
 679 Japan
 436 Guernsey
 412 Taiwan
 180 Colombia
 174 Mali
 66 Ethiopia
 59 Iraq
 50 India
 49 Myanmar
 35 Afghanistan
 17 Israel
 16 Somalia
 16 Hungary
 7 Lebanon
 5 Denmark
 5 Saudi Arabia
 5 Rwanda
 4 Algeria
 1 Greenland
 1 Benin
 1 Sudan
 ------------
 61282 total inserts

146843 total inserts and updates

The first order administrative divisions have the feature class A and the feature code ADM1. Their code is referenced in the column admin1Code.

Marc
Für Deutschland ist es mehr oder weniger die opgengeodb : http://www.geonames.org/postal-codes-sources.html

Gruss

Marc
Es ist richtig, dass bei vielen PLZ in Deutschland einige kleinere Nebenorte nicht gelistet sind. Das hat nicht zuletzt damit zu tun, dass die Deutsche Post die Daten nicht so breitwillig zur Verfügung stellt wie zum Beispiel in Österreich oder der Schweiz.

Gruss

Marc
What kind of information do you want to upload? You can for example create an entry in the forum "Discussion of Geonames Toponyms" and attach a file to the posting. We will afterwards create a link from the topony to the forum posting.

Cheers

Marc

Profile for marc -> Messages posted by marc [4416] Go to Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 195, 196, 197 ... 219, 220, 221 Next 
Go to: