GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
geonames and callback  XML
Forum Index -> General
nicarcola

My call to geonames for subdivision with a call back procedure is working well for almost all countries with the exception of the UK.

The problem is NOT that when the call is made for a lat/lng from the UK that I don't get a subdivision, BUT the problem IS that it doesn't come back in the callback function at all and so I can't tale special actions myself. I did yhe test with an alert in the callback function and nothing happens.

Anu suggestions?
marc

You are right this was a bug in the web service. It ignored the callback parameter in case of an exception. This is fixed now.

The exception format is described here :

http://www.geonames.org/export/webservice-exception.html

Marc

[WWW]
nicarcola

Thanks for the solution. Remains the question how I can get the Uk subdivisions?
marc

Hi

For the UK we don't have admin subdivision polygons and we use reverse geocoding to the next feature to determine the admin subdivision.:

http://ws.geonames.org/countrySubdivisionJSON?lat=51.03&lng=-2

Since not all features have an admin subdivision this approach does not always work.
One way for you to get the UK subdivsions in this service is to help us with it. We can need help in figuring out what admin subdivision to use in the UK as there are so many ways the country can be divided. And how the division schemes relate to each other.

Marc

[WWW]
nicarcola

I am so sorry. I tested the callback but it stiil doesn't return in the callback function. T put an alert statement there but I don't get the message????? Do I have to do another action? Did I forgetsomething?

Forum Index -> General
Go to: