GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
About moderation: can it PLEASE be disabled?  XML
Forum Index -> General
RobIII

[Avatar]

So, I've posted a few times on this forum and had some so-so experience. What bothers me a lot is that it takes hours, sometimes days for a post to appear because of moderation. Browsing through the forums a lot of topics have 0 replies which means all these people aren't helped (or the replies haven't been moderated yet). This is, in my humble opinion, a huge waste of goodwill. People are usually willing to help out but slowing down discussions to days between replies really takes a lot of effort for all participating parties to keep responding. In many cases I guess the original poster even gives up before the post is even screened and made visible to the public, let alone before receiving a reply (if any).

I would like to suggest, or request, to please, PLEASE, disable moderation. I understand why this is usually enabled (prevent spambots from posting etc.) but I'd waaaay rather enter a captcha each time I post than wait days before the post gets online.

If this is not an option (or not an option that pleases the current crew): how about recruiting more crew so that replies/posts get screened faster and can thus be answered earlier?

Finally; current crew could consider both above options: more crew and disabling 'screening' so that *if* unwanted content gets through the unwanted content gets deleted quick(er) as the other way around.

I'm very enthousiastic about geonames.org since having learned about it's existance and very willing to help out whenever and whereever I can but I really feel these... 'hurdles' by lack of a better word... make my enthousiasm fade away each time I try to post...
[WWW]
marc

I am afraid disabling the moderation is not an option, there are hundreds of spam postings per week and only a handful of real postings. Removing the moderation would make the forum completetly useless after a couple of days, since it would be flooded with spam.

I understand it is a nuisance - and believe to have to delete hundreds of spam postings in the moderation queue every couple of days is a pain to me too. The only way I see is to move to a better forum software with better spam protection. However migrating the existing postings to a new software is also a pain and I have not yet had the time to do this.

Marc

[WWW]
RobIII

[Avatar]

If I wasn't already short on time I'd gladly suggest to help you out but then I'd make promises I can't fullfil. However, maybe it is an option to recruit extra (volunteering) crew?

Another option could be to leave the current forum as-is in a 'read only state' and install a newer/better forum and refer to the current forum for 'old messages'? Sure, that would put you in a 'split' for a while but as long as it's an improvement overall I think you should consider it. Maybe it's also worth considering using a hosted forum so that maintenance etc. is done for you.

I don't know if any money is being made from geonames.org but I'd sure consider donating or even offer my services (for free) to (try to) help out moderating, moving to another forum, maybe even (free) hosting a board etc. If you want to talk feel free to contact me.
[WWW]

Forum Index -> General
Go to: