GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: marc  XML
Profile for marc -> Messages posted by marc [4416] Go to Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 196, 197, 198 ... 219, 220, 221 Next 
What kind of information do you want to upload? You can for example create an entry in the forum "Discussion of Geonames Toponyms" and attach a file to the posting. We will afterwards create a link from the topony to the forum posting.

Cheers

Marc
I would say it depends on how many cities you are using and which countries you are dealing with. If you use all 2 million populated places it will become a pretty large dropdown list for some countries.

Cheers

Marc
1) the service returns utf8 as default. Try again to set it with the meta tag. Do you have a link?

3 ) http://forum.geonames.org/gforum/posts/list/203.page

Marc
Hi Isa

1. This should not happen. I have added a check to make sure only one name can be marked as official per language. I have not yet changed the existing duplicate markes.

2. Maybe we should add a field 'languages spoken at this place' in the order of importance? The first language will be the 'official' one. What do you think?

3. This is a fight between contributors. I would prefer to have the international name as the main name on geonames. If we have the information in the alternate names table then it does not matter since all users of the geonames dump can decide what they want to do.

Cheers

Marc
Hi Isa

1. you are part of our team . You can use the "recent changes" feed to be informed about updates and have a loot at them : http://www.geonames.org/recent-changes.html
The updates go directly to the next update file, we don't have to confirm them.

2. The updates will be in the next dump. 'next' means the next day in the GMT +1 timezone. (Zürich, Berlin,Paris, Wien,...)

Cheers

Marc
Hi

For the findNearByWeatherJSON service (with lat/lng) you can add the 'maxRows' parameter. With the maxRows parameter the service will return a list of weather stations ordered by distance. You can take the newest from this list. Is this ok for you?

Cheers

Marc
Hallo Steffen

Die PLZ sind noch nicht völlig mit der Hauptdatenbank verknüpft und als separater Download erhältlich :
http://forum.geonames.org/gforum/posts/list/7.page

Gruss

Marc
Hi Robby

The geonames search is not database driven. We don't use SQL for the search, we use a lucene full text search.

Cheers

Marc
Hi

I have converted todays dump with the 'iconv' command line tool :
http://dev.geonames.org/allCountries.utf16.gz

Hope this helps

Cheers

Marc
The findNearestAddress service accepts now the parameter 'radius' in km. Default is circa 0.2 km or 200m

Cheers

Marc
We will add it next week, 21 March 2007. See here for details :

http://groups.google.com/group/geonames/browse_thread/thread/b389ae8e28d2a522?hl=en

Marc
Hi Isa

Extents or footprints of places would certainly be interesting information and useful for a lot of applications. Only we don't have the information and I don't know where to get it.
For the US it could be deduced from the US census TIGER line data set, for other countries it will be more difficult. The only way I see at the moment is to use a heuristic based on population of a city or feature code of an other place.

Cheers

Marc
A line has a beginning and an end. If you stand at the beginning and look towards the end then you have a left and a right side. The point you click is either left or right.

The interpolation is used to determine the house number since we only have the house numbers of the beginning and of the end of the line (four numbers, two on each end of the line)

Marc
1) the service is returning a UTF8 document. You will need to use this encoding in your page as well. Otherwise there is a parameter 'charset' for some services to chose the desired encoding.

2) This is true. Geoinfo for the UK is hard to come by. If you know any database we gladly integrate it into geonames.

3) There is another service called 'findNearby' that allows you to pass the desired featureclass or code

Marc
are you able to ping the service from your server?
If yes can you get the document with a command line tool like wget or curl?

Marc
We find the nearest segment to the point you have clicked and then we figure out whether it is left or right. The dataset we are using gives us left and right streetnumbers for the start and end point of the segment. We will then interpolate the line number depending on left or right.

Would it help to have access to the information "left" or "right"?

Cheers

Marc
Which day do you think is a good day for the change?

For me it is not much work. Some minutes for the code change and the documentation. We should announce it some days earlier on the geonames mailing list.

Cheers

Marc
The 'important' countries should all have geonameIds. There are some 'countries' where the status is no obvious. Is American Samoa a country or does it belong to the US?
You can help find the missing geonameIds, just post them in the thread I will add them to the file.

Cheers

Marc
Hi

The geonameId is stable and does not change. It is the primary key in the geonames database.

Cheers

Marc
In the findNearestAddress service the element is called 'address' not 'intersection'.

Hope this helps

Marc

Profile for marc -> Messages posted by marc [4416] Go to Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 196, 197, 198 ... 219, 220, 221 Next 
Go to: