GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
How do I add new postcodes?  XML
Forum Index -> Postal Codes
Julian Skeels

Simple one this... We occaisionally come across new postcodes that we would like to add to Geonames. What's the best way of doing this?
marc

Hi Julian

We don't yet have a consistent way of adding new postal codes. We would like to integrate the postal codes with the main database. For some countries we have started to add them as alternate names with the pseudo language code 'post'. France is more or less complete.

You can add postal codes as alternate names to a place name, though they will not immediately appear in the postal code listing.
You can also send me a file and I insert the codes directly into the database.

Best

Marc

[WWW]
GeoffI

Hello Marc,

I attempted adding a Canadian postal code ('A1V 0A9') as an alternate name for Gander (populated place in NL), and found that whenever I inserted 'post' as the language code, an error was returned:

"invalid postal code format for country CA, the format is A9A 9A9*"

I believe the format of my input postal code matches the format in the error message, though I tried with the * at the end also just in case, and got the same error message.

Am I doing something wrong?

marc

Hi GeoffI

Looks like a bug. I will investigate it as soon as I have time.

Best

Marc

[WWW]
marc

The bug has been fixed.

Marc

[WWW]
eadjei

[Avatar]

I added a postcode to this place - http://www.geonames.org/2639189/romsey.html and it appears to have been accepted, however it has been over 24 hours now and it is still not appearing in the search here http://www.geonames.org/postalcode-search.html?q=SO519AW&country=GB

what did I do wrong?
nikantmark

Please add the postal code for the Delarö area of Stockholm: 13770. Sweden Post Confirmation - https://www.postnord.se/vara-verktyg/sok-postnummer-och-adress?countryCode=SE&query=13770
pencil87

You can add postal codes as alternate names to a place name, though they will not immediately appear in the postal code listing.
[WWW]
Marc-Antoine Decreton

Hello everyone,
I'm now facing the same situation. I needed to add a postal code to a french city.
So as suggested above, I added a "post" alternate name in the PPL entry. .

But since the city can't be found because the zip database is not synchronized yet (and the new zip code is not present when downloading the dump either).

My question is quite simple: can we have more insights regarding the synchronization mechanism? Is this an automatic task that runs periodically or a manual operation?
And what's the frequency of this synchronization?

Forum Index -> Postal Codes
Go to: