GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Montenegro...  XML
Forum Index -> General
crewbaby

So Montenegro has recently voted for full independence, and I already see some pages of Wikipedia reflecting this by splitting the former "Serbia & Montenegro"....

I'm wondering how we can get the geonames data to reflect this when it formally happens. A few changes will have to happen:

- country table: update so that Serbia and Montenegro are two distinct countries, with related meta-data (capitals, codes, etc.)
- geonames should also be updated to reflect that they are now inside the country of Montenegro.
- localisation: I'm guessing this won't be an issue since they speak the same language groups as the Serbs, so no need to translate all the place-names into a new group?

Is there any algorithmic way to do these updates, or should we try to find some help from someone originally from the area?

No rush from my end on this, I'm just raising the issue from an academic point-of-view to maintain gazette completeness when Montenegro's imminent Independence day happens
marc

First of all we will need an official iso country code. I wonder how long it takes for iso to agree on a code :

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/10faq/frequently-asked-questions.html#QS01

For the update of the country code for the toponyms in Montenegro we will need a border shape file to do it automatically.

Marc

[WWW]
crewbaby

ok, it's in ISO's hands then for now.

Forum Index -> General
Go to: