I use ws.geonames.org/findNearby to get places from Poland. There is some problems with it:
1. I get admin1 names in English: 'Masovian Voivodeship', and I need it in Polish 'Województwo Mazowieckie', is there a way to get it in Polish? Maybe data in admin1Codes.txt or admin1CodesASCII.txt should be corrected?
2. The names from admin1CodesASCII.txt for polish divisions have errors in their english names. For example there is: 'Subcarpathian Voivodeship' but 'Podlasie Voivodship' (no 'e' in Voivodship).
3. A problem with places like 'Lipnik' (http://www.geonames.org/3093281/lipnik.html) which is populated place (PPL) and in fact should be a section of Bielsko-Biała (PPLX). Because of this I'm not able to get a real city - I get it's division.
There is also the known problem with administrative divisions like Bielsko (admincode1 before 1999) changed to Śląskie (admincode1 after 1999).
Yes, I know that. But I think about hmm.. mass update of data.
Or if you have a lot of data you can send me a file and I will run a batch update.
I think about running a script which will scan all cities in Poland and will compare them with a data from the source I provided. The script will be able to change places like Lipnik to 'sections of populated place' etc.
The question is what data should I scan/change? It should be geoname table, right?
One more thing - would you like to answer my question numer 1 from my previous post? I don't understand whether it is a matter of data or this is a way in which webservice works (returns english name for adminName1).
1. Yes geoname table is the right one to change the feature code
2. try adding the parameter 'lang=pl' this should return the administrative division in the desired language. The default language is English.