GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
I am creating a partof Hierarchy using Dump file in the java like Geotree but?  XML
Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions
wasem_aslam

Hello! to everybody. I am new here in this forum but i have start work on it.I like this forum and these Geonames which are free to use.This is very greatness of this group.I am going to create a hierarchy of places like parent child relationship.I am going through the all FEATURE CODES.I am going to do this in Java.I want to know before that is there any work has been done before which will help me.So i can extend it or can use it?
So, Anyone can help me in this regard or guide me better way that how to start in a good way?Is there any work has been done in Java or any other language at least i can get the logic or idea.And i t will boost me.

Thanks so much in advance!
Looking for impressive reply!

cheers!
david masclet

i've done a free and open source framework that provides access to gisfeature
from several gazeteers on the Web (mainly Geonames, but not only : ESRI for instance). It provides an importer to inject the data into a strongly typed Postgres / Postgis database and use them via 2 webservices or a java API : geolocalisation and fulltext. Here are the main functionalities :

REST WebService
Full text search Lucene / Solr with default filters optimized for city search
(case insensitivity, separator characters stripping, ..) via an Java API or a webservice
Fully replicated / scalable / high performance / cached services
Findnearby function (with limits, pagination, restrict to a specific country and/or language and other useful options) via a Java API or a Web Service
Search for zipcode or name
Importers from geonames CSV files, reporting of inconsistencies and a report when import is complete. Just give the country(ies) you wish to import and / or the placetypes, and it download the files and import them with all the alternateNames (optional), and sync the database with the fulltext search engine
Several output formats supported : json, XML, ruby, python,...
Dojo widgets / prototype / Ajax to ease search but can be use it even if javascript is not enabled on the client side
lateform / language independent
Provides all the countries flags in svg and png format

A little bit of technics...
Spring Services / Hibernate mapping with its own hibernate dialect
Lucene Schema </li>
Use Postgres / postgis but will be soon compliant with other Spatial providers (Oracle, Mysql,...)</li>
Build using Maven2</li>
Automatic synchronization between Postgres and Solr</li>
High test coverage</li>
Event - based design</li>
UTF-8 all over the place</li>
it has its own maven repository with all the dependencies
Designed with <a href="http://www.infoq.com/articles/internal-dsls-java">DSL</a> (Domain Specific Language)
Designed with the DDD paradigm

it will be available in june, i currently writing docs and make a site
[WWW]
sgyles

Hi David,

Any news cq progress on the modules you described ?
david masclet

Hi

The project is finished at 99 %, the site is up but i need some machines to put the service on and to offer download (the distribution with webapp and docs and ...takes 50M)

The project is named gisgraphy => the first draft site is www.gisgraphy.com (because my english is not perfect, any errors report would be greatly appreciate). it will be fully available when i will have my own server (hope in june)

David
[WWW]

Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions
Go to: