GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Wrong admin codes in Postal Code dump  XML
Forum Index -> Postal Codes
McK

Hello, first thanks for sharing this valuable information

I have noticed at least for Spain admin codes from postalcode dump don't match with those from main geonames dump.

Example:

For admin1 'Castilla y León' in main geonames it's referenced by code '55' and in postalcode by 'CL' so it's very difficult given a postalcode to look for its corresponding admin1 geoname row.

Beside that, the textual form in postcode dump for Castilla y León is 'Castilla - Leon' which doesn't appear as an alternatename in the main geonames data.

I don't know if this is a problem of your data or just the dump, because the webpage finds correctly all admins from postalcode.

I could fix all this for Spain postalcodes by hand if neccesary. Do you want a list of SQL UPDATE statements to apply them to your data?

Ex: UPDATE postalcodes SET code1='55' WHERE country='ES' AND code1='CL';

Thanks.
marc

The GeoNames main table is using FIPS codes for first order administrative divisions (with some exceptions : US, UK, CH) whereas the postal code dump is using ISO codes for many countries. The codes are listed here :
http://www.geonames.org/ES/administrative-division-spain.html

The idea is to integrate the postal codes into the main dump and get rid of the separate dump and we also want to switch the admin1code to ISO.

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> Postal Codes
Go to: