GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
UK admin2 codes  XML
Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Julian Skeels

Marc,

Forgive my ignorance, but am I right in thinking that for an admin2 district to display correctly, the codes have to be inserted in the database by yourself? (When I say "correctly, I mean that something like http://www.geonames.org/6619860/fleetville.html wouldn't display "GB.F8.undefined")

If so, can we add the UK admin2 codes pls? I believe you're using the ONS codes in the UK, which are available in Excel format here
marc

Hi Julian

The ONS codes are also available in the Ordnance Survey Administriative Geography :
http://geonames.wordpress.com/2007/04/11/ordnance-survey-administrative-divisons/

We have assigned the admin codes where ever possible. Here an example with the admin code '17UJ' :
http://www.geonames.org/2641373/north-east-derbyshire.html

Unfortunately many districts are still missing in GeoNames or have not yet been assigned with their codes. Here the list of the districts we have in our database :
http://www.geonames.org/search.html?q=adm2&country=GB

Even when we add the districts, the information to which district a place belongs to will still be missig for most locations.

Regards

Marc

[WWW]
amake

Hello. I'm cleaning up entries for locations in Japan, and I was trying to get admin2 and admin3 codes working and couldn't seem to do it. From this thread it sounds like this requires special database finagling that I don't understand. Am I correct in my understanding that I can't get admin2 and 3 codes to work simply by editing through the wiki interface? (Right now admin2 and 3 entries' names show up in the pull-down menu when I edit an entry, but on the entry info thingy it shows JP.05.undefined and JP.05.undefined.undefined).
marc

Do you know which kind of code system for administrative divisions in Japan makes sense? Up to now we don't have any identification codes assigned for the lower administrative divisions in Japan and the edit interface does not work properly in this case. What we could do is assign the geonameId as a code. The downside would be that it will be difficult to change it in the future to a code system more commonly used in the country. GeoNames users might rely on the geonameId as a code and it could confuse them if we change to another coding system.

Marc

[WWW]
amake

Thanks for the quick response

Japan's admin1 data already seems to be input correctly. These are 2-digit codes as specified by ISO 3166-2:JP.

Then for admin2 there are 6-digit municipality codes that break down as so:
(2-digit admin1 code) + (3 digits) + (1 check digit

The check digit can be left off if the code needs to be fit into only 5 digits.

There are tables of codes available on the internet, such as here and here. Unfortunately they all seem to be in Japanese.

If it would help, I could provide this information in English in whatever format you like.
ext

Even when we add the districts, the information to which district a place belongs to will still be missig for most locations.

I'd like to ask about Polish 2nd and 3rd division codes. There is not much of them in geonames db.

What do you need to add these divisions to your db? I can provide a list of such divisions, but I have neither polygons nor central points for them. Is it enough?

If yes, then, I think, I'll be able to send you data dump from my locally updated updated geoname table containing places connected to the divisions. I'll map them with territorial data published by Polish goverment. Mapping will be based on place name and place admin1.
marc

Hi

Withouth lat/lng it is difficult. All our other toponyms have lat/lng and it would be a considerable change in the data model when we start including data without lat/lng all of a sudden.

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Go to: