GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Canadian provinces  XML
Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
ptomblin

[Avatar]

I have 4384 aviation waypoints that I know are in Canada but I don't know which province. I've been trying to assign them to provinces using a point-in-polygon program I wrote myself using a shapefile I got from ESRI some years ago, and mostly it's doing things right, but there are some weird outliers. For instance, one airport that is very close to the sea coast is showing up as not being in any province, probably because the shapefile has the coast wrong by a few hundred metres at that location. When I give that particular location (46.50944,-64.693889) to your countrySubdivision web service, it correctly identifies it as being in New Brunswick.

So my questions are:
- can I get your boundary files? and/or
- would you have any objection to me hitting your web service for a few thousand points every few months?
[WWW]
marc

Hi

For only some thousand requests per month it might be the simplest thing to just use the web service.

Regards

Marc

[WWW]
ptomblin

[Avatar]

marc wrote:

For only some thousand requests per month it might be the simplest thing to just use the web service.

Just so we're clear, I'm not talking about a few thousand request spread out over the month so that it averages out to a few per hour, I'm talking about getting a data update ever 56 days (ICAO update cycle) and processing the data immediately, so probably all 3,000 or so requests over the course of a few minutes.

Although, after the first one, I'm only going to be doing changes, so probably fewer than 100 queries.
[WWW]
marc

You could wait some hundred milliseconds between requests to be nice with our server and let it also answer requests from other users.

Marc

[WWW]
ptomblin

[Avatar]

marc wrote:
You could wait some hundred milliseconds between requests to be nice with our server and let it also answer requests from other users.
Marc 

Will do.
[WWW]

Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Go to: