GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
US administrative divisions  XML
Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Anonymous

Hi again,

just in case you're not aware of this... in the database dump (allCountries.zip), the admin1_code for the cities in the US is the ISO code (I think), but it's the FIPS code for the cities in all other countries.

On the other hand, I've seen in another message in this forum that you have the names of the administrative divisions of the countries (you gave the link to a page with the admin divisions of Norway). I was wondering if you also have a file (similar to allCountries.zip) with the administrative divisions of all countries. Is there such a file? May I download it?

Thanks again,

xavi
marc

Hi xavi

It is planned to move from fips to isocodes. The challenge with this is that there is no 1<->1 relationship between fips and iso codes, it has to be sorted out country by country. We therefore don't have something like allCountries.zip with iso codes.

Any help with this is welcome ...

Marc

[WWW]
Anonymous

Actually, I was asking for a file with all the region names, so that I could easily upload it to my database and then display the corresponding region name for a given city. As the cities file uses FIPS codes, the regions file should also use FIPS codes, so that I could match the cities info with the regions info.

In fact, I already have a file with all the regions, but I wondered if you had one that would probably match better with the geonames cities info.

Right now I don't have time for trying to come up with a solution to the FIPS - ISO migration, so I can't promise anything. Sorry about that.
marc

You are right the file really should be part of the download. If you give me your email I can send you the file I am using, though it is not ready to be officially realeased.

Regards,

Marc

[WWW]
Thomas

Hi,
I've checked the administratives regions of US in the database and I've found only 46 states whereas there must be 50 in the union. Is it a bug or you don't have the data yet to add the 4 last states?
marc

Hi Thomas

How did you check the administratives regions? All states are in the geoname database, so I wonder what makes you think some states are missing.

Marc

[WWW]
Thomas

I've check the administratibe regions with a query:
SELECT * FROM 'geomap' WHERE country_code='US' AND feature_code='ADM1'

the result give me only 46 rows and some states like Virginia are missed

I've tried to locate the Virginia State by another query:
SELECT * from 'geomap' WHERE country_code='US' AND name='Virginia'

But the result give me only PPL...
marc

Now I understand. I was first thinking you wanted to say placenames were missing in these states.

The four states Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and Virginia are really missing in the gnis dataset.
I have added them and also updated the feature code of the four capitals :

http://www.geonames.org/recent-changes.html

[WWW]
Anonymous

hi Marc,

after reading Thomas messages, now I realize that I can get all the regions by using something like...

SELECT * FROM geonames_places WHERE feature_code='ADM1'

Would this be the content of the file with all the regions that you said you would prepare? (by the way, I sent you a private message through this forum with my email address, not sure if you received it).

On the other hand, I think that now I understand better what you said the lack of 1-to-1 mapping between FIPS codes and ISO codes. For example, in Spain the FIPS codes correspond to the 17 regions of the country

select * from geonames_places where feature_code = 'ADM1' and country_code = 'ES';

But the ISO codes correspond to the 50 provinces of the country

http://www.geonames.org/ES/administrative-division-spain.html

Is this correct?
Thanks.

xavi

marc

Hi xavi

And with
SELECT * FROM geonames_places WHERE feature_code='ADM2' ;
you should get all provinces and with 'ADM3' all 8000+ municipalities ...
As you can see there are only 43 provinces and 1 municipalities in the geonames database. Please feel free to add the missing provinces. (I don't think it makes sense to manually add the 8000 missing municipalities

The file I was referrering to is now available in the download section : http://download.geonames.org/export/dump/admin1Codes.txt
It contains the admin1codes and the name for each code.

For Spain the fips to iso code mapping is 1-1 for most regions and provinces with exception of Ceuta and Melilla. I have update the page with the fips codes for the provinces, and fixed a lot of wrong iso codes on this page :
http://www.geonames.org/ES/administrative-division-spain.html

Marc

[WWW]
Anonymous

marc wrote:

The file I was referrering to is now available in the download section : http://download.geonames.org/export/dump/admin1Codes.txt
It contains the admin1codes and the name for each code.

Could you provide the ANSI name of the regions like you do for the cities?

xavi
marc

Hi xavi

I don't have an ansi file ready, but you can easily generate one for you.

SELECT countrycode,admincode1, ansiname FROM geonames WHERE feature_code='ADM1'

Hope this helps

Marc

[WWW]
Anonymous

well, for some reason the names returned by the SQL don't match the names in the admin1Codes.txt . For example, in Spain, the SQL returns what seem to be like longer versions of the region names

Comunidad Autonoma de Cataluna

while the corresponding entry in admin1Codes.txt is

Cataluña

The same happens in Philippines for example. While SQL returns

Province of Zambales

the entry in admin1Codes.txt is

Zambales

(I prefer the shorter names).

Anyway, thank you.

xavi

Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Go to: