GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
postalCodeSearch / findNearbyPostalCode / totalResultsCount  XML
Forum Index -> Postal Codes
keylevel

postalCodeSearch results include totalResultsCount, but those from findNearbyPostalCode don't.

Would it be possible to include this? It would be nice if all results included it.

Thanks!

Chris
marc

Hi Chris

The totalResultsCount is included in the search result because it is easy to implement and it has some meaning.
What would be the meaning of a total results count for a find nearby service? The total results count would always be the total number of records in the database. Wouldn't it?

Cheers

Marc

[WWW]
keylevel

What would be the meaning of a total results count for a find nearby service? The total results count would always be the total number of records in the database. Wouldn't it? 
I would have thought it would just be the count of the number of matches. For example,

http://ws.geonames.org/findNearbyPostalCodes?postalcode=DH1&radius=2&maxRows=100&featureClass=P&style=FULL&country=GB

Returns 5 <code> records, but

http://ws.geonames.org/findNearbyPostalCodes?postalcode=DH1&radius=20&maxRows=100&featureClass=P&style=FULL&country=GB

returns 100. I suspect there are more, but my maxRows=100 is limiting the number of replies. However, as I don't have a totalResultsCount (of those nearby postal codes within the radius), I can't detect that this is the case.

Chris
marc

I prefer not to have to add this feature to the result. It would make the service considerably more complex with only little gain.

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> Postal Codes
Go to: