GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
GeonameId's and postalcode  XML
Forum Index -> Postal Codes
keylevel

I'm using postalCodeSearch to allow a user to find a place and that works fine. I want to then be able to store an identifier so that I can retrieve the information later (without the user having to choose if there are multiple hits).

GeonameId would allow me to do this (I can use it with get), but postalCodeSearch doesn't give me it. Is there any way to get geonameId once I have a postalCodeSearch result to use?

I want to be able to find the name, admincode (county), postcode and geonameId.

Data is for the UK, if that makes any difference.

Edit:
I've also just noticed that get doesn't return postalcodes - is there some way to use the goenameId to get this?

Thanks!

Chris
marc

Hi Chris

We are still working on fully integrating the postal code data with the main GeoNames data. For the time being we cannot release a link to the geonameid for the postal codes and it is too early to release what we already have. For some countries (France, Spain, and some more ) we have started to add postal codes as alternate names to the main GeoNames entries.

Cheers

Marc

[WWW]
keylevel

Thanks Marc, I'll keep my eyes open

Chris
Andreas

marc wrote:

We are still working on fully integrating the postal code data with the main GeoNames data. F

Marc 

While assigning all postal addresses a genonameid will be the final goal, it would be helpful if geoplz had a unique geoplzid (which would be dropped as soon as geoplz is integrated with geoname)

Regards,
Andreas
marc

It would be easy to asssign ids to all records, but it would be difficult to maintain the id. If we pulish record ids user would rely on this id being constant and this is not trivial to guarantee. In short we don't have the resources to pulish and maintain constant ids, just to throw them away later.

Cheers

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> Postal Codes
Go to: