GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
missing geonameid for several entries in the countryinfo xml output  XML
Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Shaun Madison

First let me say thanks for making this great resource available.

I just extracted the full countryinfo.xml file and found that a number of the countries do not have a GeoNameID allocated
countryCode: AQ AS FO GF GU IO MP MQ NC PM PN PS RE SJ VI WF

On checking the country entries for these country codes one finds the following:

PN (Pitcairn Islands): two PCLD entries (almost identical). So which one is the offical entry for the country level entry? I note that the children output for Oceania produces two entries for PN.

PS (Palestine) - 1 entry PCLI entry (I realise there is debate over the status of this state but it does appear on the ISO country list)

IO (Indian Ocean islands) - 1 PCLI entry exists

for the others there are no PCL entries. Is there a reason for this? If not, these omissions that need to be addressed to establish the integrity of all the other entries that use these country codes.
[WWW]
marc

Hi Shaun

I will fix the three countries with PCL. The others are related to the problem of dependent countries discussed in this thread : http://forum.geonames.org/gforum/posts/list/562.page#2611

We have to find a way to handle this consistently. Please feel free to join the disussion.

Marc

[WWW]
Shaun Madison

Thanks Marc. I suspected it was related to this issue. I'll look at the other thread and add my thoughts on this ...
[WWW]

Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Go to: