GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Divisions with invalid characters  XML
Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
ebben

A few of the divisions have characters like * or ' in the names, which makes them hard to use in databases etc. I have looked over all the names, and there seems to be no reason for the *. One example: The county of Copenhagen in Denmark is listed as "København*", maybe to distinguish it from the City of Copenhagen, listed as "København". There is no reason to do this. I have checked all the other names in Wikipedia and similar sources, and they are always listed without the *.

Also: A lot of old FIPS codes are listed as (AF15) or something similar. I know that Geonames is converting to the newer codes, but I thought it might be useful to have the old ones in the database.

The enclosed document also corrects names like "Minsk, Horad" (Minck, City of) to "Horad Minsk" (City of Minsk) which is the official name.

I am not sure how to hand these corrections over to Geonames. Maybe the forum is a good place!

Greetings,
Erik Bolstad
 Description Excel document with corrections in Norwegian and English. [Disk] Download
 Filesize 118 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  2021 time(s)

marc

Hi Erik

Thanks a lot for your file. The forum is certainly a good place to share it. I will have a look at it and try to update the geonames database with your fixes.

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Go to: