GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Wrong russian translations for Kyiv, Ukraine  XML
Forum Index -> Discussion of GeoNames Toponyms
Maxpain177

Somebody added wrong russian translations for Kyiv, Ukraine: "Киеву" and "Киевом". Please delete them.

https://www.geonames.org/703448/kyiv.html
marc

I don't speak Russian. They look like cases for Russian declension.
I find 'Почему город Киев называется Киевом?' searching for Киевом.
(="Why is the city of Kyiv called Kyiv?")

In a way it could be useful to have information about cases of geographical names included somewhere. Using flags or even rules?

Best Regards

Marc

[WWW]
Maxpain177

Hi Marc.

Yes, they are declension cases.
The problem is that I use alternateNamesV2.zip from premium subscription data in my scripts and there is no way to figure out which one has common case.
marc

for the time being I have marked the nominativ case as 'preferred'. This should solve your immediate issue.
However, we need to either come up with a better solution and flag/mark cases and declension properly or remove them altogether.

any ideas?

[WWW]
Dakotapilcher

Hi Marc,

You're right that understanding the cases used in geographical names can be helpful, especially in languages with complex declension systems like Russian. Knowing how place names change based on their grammatical case can provide context and clarity in translations and communication.

Including information about these cases, either through flags, rules, or perhaps an intuitive guide, could indeed assist users in understanding these variations better. It could be a handy resource for people dealing with multilingual content.

Forum Index -> Discussion of GeoNames Toponyms
Go to: