GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Oceans consistency  XML
Forum Index -> Discussion of GeoNames Toponyms
watbywbarif

Is there any way to enforce data consistency in GeoNames data?

When I look at oceans (http://api.geonames.org/search?featureCode=OCN&username=demo) I get 17 results. I would delete half of objects from this dataset, but I am new here so I wonder what is best approach to fix this data?

Normally oceans are only tip of the iceberg, I am looking at seas and there is a lot of junk there also.
saphir

You will fix the oceans to have a reply to the question ”Oceans?” with the only four oceans (Atlantic, Indian, Pacific and Southern)? What for?

As I understand your argument “tip of the iceberg”… it is false.
Oceans are not on top of the seas these are more or less distinct water bodies. The Baltic, Mediterranean, Black, Caspian, Dead or Read Seas are clearly separated. The North Sea or the Philippine Sea have poorly defined open-sea borders with the Atlantic or the Pacific Oceans.

The Northern, Central or Southern Pacific (as the Northern or Southern Atlantic) are huge sub-surfaces that are well defined and used everywhere.

If you are looking on GoogleMaps you will see which Ocean/Sea a given shoreline or an island borders, no problem. However, if your program is searching this, it will have some difficulties...

Moreover, some lost and tiny islands define the limits between Seas/Oceans. One side borders an Ocean the other a Sea and maybe a third another sea.

It all depends on what you are looking for. What is good for you may be bad for another user.

Regards
Urs

Forum Index -> Discussion of GeoNames Toponyms
Go to: