GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
New entries not appearing in the GeoNames API  XML
Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions
maartenc

Dear GeoNames community,

We are using the GeoNames API from one of our applications to register content location in our metadata.

I've added some new and changed GeoNames entries related to Maastricht University on 5 December 2022. These new entries are visible in the GeoNames web interface, but not in the API.
- web UI: 6 items at https://www.geonames.org/6696684/maastricht-university.html
- API: only 1 item at http://api.geonames.org/search?q=maastricht%20university&maxRows=10&username=foobar

Somewhere else at this forum (https://forum.geonames.org/gforum/posts/list/34447.page) I read that it can take up to 1 month before new or changed items have been curated and become visible on all servers.

This 1 month period has now exceeded. Could you please look into this and make my items available?
Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Maarten Coonen
Developer at Maastricht University Library, the Netherlands
ChestHunter85

I witnessed exactly the same behaviour. Mid November I changed some positioning data, because it varied to the actual position.

As I have waited a few days and the change only seemed to be visible in the web view, I searched the forum for any further information. I stepped across the same article as maartenc mentioned and thought the changes would be replicated by January.

However, this is not the case and I hope someone on this forum would be so kind to provide a solution on how to improve/extend the existing data set, not only in the web GUI, but most importantly on the API itself!

King regards
marc

Hi

Mid Novemeber is a long time. Which feature is the change about? The data was replicated several times during this period.

Best Regards

Marc

[WWW]
ChestHunter85

Hi Marc,

you were right, the changes are replicated for the name search. However, in my specific case, I search for postal codes, which I thought uses the same data set and would be replicated some time.

Now it makes sense, therefore my question is, how do I change the position for places, which use the Postal Code API? (If I want to change a place in my area via the Postal Code API an error messages pops up: No record found in this area)

Furthermore I don't understand why the postal codes use a different data set, when it seems to be the same as the place search via name or how does this work?

Kind regards
maartenc

Hi,

I just checked the API again and the items that I've added in December are now present.
I don't know if this happened by itself or that some manual action was taken.

Nevertheless, thank you!
We can finally start using the Geonames items in our application.

Best regards,
Maarten Coonen

Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions
Go to: