GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Zip code Italy  XML
Forum Index -> Postal Codes
grfr58

Hi Marc,
I create a zip code table for italy, can I send you a csv file?

Regards
Francesco
[WWW]
marc

Hi Francesco

Great you can send it to my email address marc@geonames.org or simply add it as a attachment to the forum posting. Is it with the new codes of September 2006?

Cheers

Marc

[WWW]
grfr58

Hi Marc,

this is not the last version from September last year, but is anyway much more complete of the one you provide, with the zip of the new province and the zip and lat-long of the small villages.
The columns dsg is with PPL_C for the main city and villages and PPL_F for the small locality.
Have a look and let me know if you will import in your main zip code file.

Regards from Italy
Francesco
 Description [Disk] Download
 Filesize 403 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  7678 time(s)

[WWW]
marc

Hi Francesco

I will certainly import your data in the main zip code file. It looks very good. What can I give as source of the data? Do you have a website or shall I just add your name to the sources?

Cheers

Marc

[WWW]
grfr58

Hi Marc,
thank you for your message.

Our web site is www.easyreserve.com

Please let me know when I can download the new zip file.

Regards
Francesco
[WWW]
marc

Ciao Francesco

Hi have updated our database with your file. At the same time we have added a new field called 'accuracy' to the dump. It gives information about how accurate we believe the lat/lng to be. At the moment it is only populated for Italy. More countries will follow.

Accuracy is an integer, the higher the better :
1 : estimated as average from numerically neigbouring postal codes
3 : same postal code, other name
4 : place name from geonames db
5 : dito exact coordinates (in contrast to rounded)?
6 : postal code area centroid

I have used accuracy '6' for your data. Do you think this is ok?

Furthermore I have kept our database and just updated lat/lng. There is at least one postal code missing in your dataset (50125, where I have lived for some time) and most of the postal codes place names in your database that are missing from the existing dataset are not to be found on the website of poste.it

Cheers

Marc

[WWW]
grfr58

Hi Marc,

we prepared a page, with the project to have soon a service with xml output, to find a location and verify the accuracy based on the zip code.

Practically you enter as mandatory the country name locality name and zip code, if you like region and province, and the program search the more probable city with long/lat and the distance from the zip code entered.

The link to this page is zip-service.easyreserve.com

It will be important to have all the locality with the zip code and position.

Can you complete the upload of the file I submitted last May?

Regarding the Accuracy of the informations are based on the real position of the locality, according to me is accuracy=4
Of course the file is not 100% complete, specially with the city zip code like 50125, but for the small location I am sure is accurate.

Regards
Francesco
[WWW]
grfr58

hello Marc

Can you complete the upload of the file for Italy zip I submitted last May?

Regarding the Accuracy of the informations are based on the real position of the locality, according to me is accuracy=4
Of course the file is not 100% complete, specially with the city zip code like 50125, but for the small location I am sure is accurate.
[WWW]
marc

Hi Francesco

I have updated the coordinates already in May. I did not completely replace the postal code we already had because I am not sure whether this would be an improvement. I have checked only a handful of records, so this might be wrong.
What do you suggest ? To completely remove the codes we had (including 50125 which does exist) and insert all the records in the file above with many records that do not exist on the official website poste.it ?

Cheers

Marc

[WWW]
grfr58

Hi Marc,

I worked for many years in a company managing customer and prospect database. The file I upload according to me is correct in 99% of the case for the locality without road zip code like Florence or Rome.
What I suggest is to import my file and keep from your current file the zip codes with XX1XX or XX9XX.
Like this you keep the zip code like the 50125 which is a area of Florence (probably with the wrong lat and long)

If I was not clear please let me know.

Best regards
Francesco
[WWW]
marc

Hi Francesco

This is a good idea. I have checked the remaining records with the highest yahoo score on poste.it and they didn't exist there.
Your file has now been completely integrated in todays daily dump and deployed on all our servers.

Cheers

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> Postal Codes
Go to: