GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Names in Ukranian vs Russian (eg: Odesa vs Odessa, etc) for locations in Ukraine  XML
Forum Index -> Discussion of GeoNames Toponyms
deepblue

Apologies beforehand if this was already discussed elsewhere but I didn't find it.

Currently the entry for Odesa in Ukraine is using the traditional spelling (which I believe to be in Russian) for its name. Wikipedia and several international media organizations have been moving away from the historical spelling to the Ukrainian one.

I mention Odesa specifically because it was the one brought to us by one of our users, but the issue is likely happening with others too. I see that Kyiv has already been updated (from Kiev), but there's probably others still using the historical spelling. Not sure if there's a way to do a batch update so that thisĀ is not done piecemeal. I'm not Ukrainian, so I'm not much of help there I'm afraid.

Anyhow, if possible, can the preferred name for Odesa be updated?
marc

thanks for pointing this out. I have updated the name to Odesa.

Marc

[WWW]
Olexandr

Hi @mark! Found that Kyiv Oblast has 2 English variants (both Ukranian and Russian).
On some services that relies on GeoNames database "Kyiv Oblast" continues to use short russian variant.

Code:
 en 	English 	Kiev 		  					
 en 	English 	Kyiv 		

marc

Hi Olexandr

Thanks for pointing this out. There was still an alternatename in English 'Kiev' not marked as historic. I have now marked it as historic.

Best Regards

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> Discussion of GeoNames Toponyms
Go to: