GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Municipalities in the United States of America  XML
Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Gilros

Hi Marc

In my lay opinion, the United States (geonameid = 6,252,001) have three levels of government, according to what is mentioned in wikipedia (please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_divisions_of_the_United_States). However, I see that GeoNames database considers only two, states and counties, once there is no location with Feature Type Code = 'ADM3'. Well, the need of the company I work for drills down to the level of municipality.

But it’s ok, it seems that it is something we have to live with as long as we know a formula do drill down and it seems that there is one. I'm not criticizing, just making a remark and trying to understand.

So I've been trying to find out a rule that allows me to know, for instance, the municipalities of Broward County (geonameid = 4149007, ADM2 Code = '011 ', http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broward_County _Florida) in Florida (geonameid = 17671452, ADM1 Code =' FL ').

Making a filter over the sites belonging to the Broward County with Feature Class Code = 'A', and eliminating the Broward County location itself, we get 31 occurrences: 28 cities plus 3 indian territories, which is ok. However the list leaves out three cities:

Cooper City -> geonameid = 4151824, Feature Class Code = 'P'
Coral Springs -> geonameid = 4151909, Feature Class Code = 'P'
Fort Lauderdale - <geonameid = 4155966, Feature Class Code = 'P'. This one is the main city in county.

What is the rule to use to bring the whole list? Or… Is this a reason to change the Feature Class Codes of those cities to A?

Thanks in advance.
marc

Hi Gilros

It is true that municipalities for the US are currently missing. I am not even sure whether municipalities could be considered to be ADM3. I have more the impression there are rather a property some populated place have an others don't have it. I have put it on the todo list and we will have a look at how to model it later. One way to flat them would be to add a tag to each of those PPL.

I cannot five you a simple rule to find them in the database.

Best Regards

Marc

[WWW]
Gilros

Hi Marc,

It's been a long time I don't post because the company I work for suspended the Geography project. However the project is now back to life and I'm back to Geonames Data.

As for the question I made three years ago, the best solution for us at that time was to consider US locations with Feature Class TYPE = 'ADMD' as municipalities, what worked fine because there was no location with 'ADM3'. By doing this, we managed to drill down to the hierarchy we needed.

Now, coming back to US data, we realized that there are currently 14 locations with class type 'ADM3' for the whole country. They are listed at the end. All the rest remain with 'ADMD'.

So, our question is. Would those 14 locations have been inappropriately classified as for their class type? If so, would you please fix them?

Here are the locations
Gename ID City Name Current Class Previous Class
7170765 City of Saint Marys ADM3 ADMD
5850800 Manoa ADM3 ADMD
7306149 Honolulu District ADM3 ADMD
5856258 Honomuni ADM3 ADMD
4992124 Township of Emerson ADM3 ADMD
4997347 City of Ithaca ADM3 ADMD
5011553 Township of Sumner ADM3 ADMD
5061855 Village of Sheldon ADM3 ADMD
5073990 Township of Norfolk ADM3 ADMD
5221674 City of Cranston ADM3 ADMD
5222928 Town of Johnston ADM3 ADMD
5223683 Town of North Providence ADM3 ADMD
7170468 Metropolitan Government of Nashville-Davidson (balance) ADM3 ADMD
5850615 Makawao ADM3 ADMD
Gilros

Hi Marc,
I tried a post yesterday but I'm not sure if it went through... I can't see it... So, I'm doing it again, but a bit different.

It's been a long time I don't post because the company I work for suspended the Geography project. However the project is now back to life and I'm back to Geonames Data.

As for the question I made three years ago, the best solution for us at that time was to consider US locations with Feature Class TYPE = 'ADMD' as municipalities, what worked fine because there was no location with 'ADM3'. By doing this, we managed to drill down to the hierarchy we needed.

Now, coming back to US data, we realized that there are currently 4 locations with class type 'ADM3' in the whole country. They are listed at the end. All the rest remain with 'ADMD'.

According to your explanation as of 3 years ago, those 4 locations have been inappropriately classified as ADM3. I tried to fix them myself but I couldn't because my user level is lower than the other user that made a change on them.

Here are the locations
Gename ID City Name Current Class Previous Class
5061855 Village of Sheldon ADM3 ADMD
5221674 City of Cranston ADM3 ADMD
5222928 Town of Johnston ADM3 ADMD
5223683 Town of North Providence ADM3 ADMD

Gilros

Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Go to: