[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Indonesia Toponyms  XML
Forum Index -> Discussion of GeoNames Toponyms
Parikesit

[Avatar]

Hi all,

I want to contribute for Geonames greate service by updating toponyms for Indonesia country... my homeland.

I have an sql database for Indonesia (only), and I want to share it with Geonames.

First of all, Indonesia database only has four administrative level 1 and few administrative level 2.

In fact, Indonesia has 33 provinces (administrative level 1) and 455 cities as administrative level 2 (sub of province or we call it kabupaten/kotamadya); and many more thousand cities that not list as administrative level 2.

Can I attach the sql (mysql) file here or do I have to convert it like your sql structure first?

Note: My sql has 2 tables: table province and table cities (related to the propince_id).

---------------------------
Zaenal - Lokamaya.com
[WWW]
Parikesit

[Avatar]

Parikesit wrote:

In fact, Indonesia has 33 provinces (administrative level 1) and 455 cities as administrative level 2 (sub of province or we call it kabupaten/kotamadya)...

Kabupaten and kotamadya are the same administrative level 2. The different is:
- Kotamadya or midle (madya) city (kota) is bigger than kabupaten.
- The capital city of the province automatically become kotamadya; but not all kotamadya are the capital city of province.

As the province...

There are 3 special province:
1. Jakarta, as the capital of Indonesia, become Daerah Khusus Ibukota (DKI) Jakarta, or the capital city of Indonesia.

2. Yogyakarta, ruled by the sultan (king) not governor as other province, and become Daerah Istimewa (DI) Yogyakarta.

3. Aceh, or known as Nangroe Aceh Darussalam (NAD), is the province ruled by Islamic law, and become Daerah Istimewa (DI) Aceh.

Zaenal - Lokamaya.com
[WWW]
Parikesit

[Avatar]

Some articel or source about Indonesia can be found here:

- Statistics Indonesia - Formal Resource
- Biro Pusat Statistik (BPS)
- Provinces of Indonesia (good article in English)
- Regencies of Indonesia

Zaenal - Lokamaya.com
[WWW]
marc

Hi Parikesit

It is great that you want to contribute to the geonames project. You can send the file to my email address marc@geonames.org

Thanks

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> Discussion of GeoNames Toponyms
Go to: