I have written an integration for GeoNames.org for my software, several years ago. My software mostly uses http://api.geonames.org/findNearbyPlaceNameJSON to do reverse geocoding.
My users must get their own free/paid GeoNames.org account and enter it in my software.
I use my own GeoNames.org user account (active for years) only every couple of weeks for testing before shipping. I make 2 or 3 requests and if everything works, I'm good.
I've gotten some bug reports related to GeoNames.org over the past days and today I've tried to make a request with my user name and I've got the "invalid user", value = 10 response code.
I've posted this question several weeks ago and it has apparently just now been cleared by a moderator...
The problem solved itself a couple of weeks ago.
Probably a temporary glitch in the GeoNames.org authentication mechanism or something. My user name works again for the API calls (and the demo) and the affected users also report that the issue has been solved.
In testing my code i wanted to make sure the path that handles logon errors works properly in case my customer puts in an invalid user id. In my attempt to get an error code 10 exception by using invalid UserID's I have been unable to get that far.
It fails before that with an HTTP 401 response.
I'm using the SSL (Secure) endpoint if that makes a difference.