GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Web services Server problems?  XML
Forum Index -> General
Amphib

I am experiencing a lot of timeouts for the past 2 days. Is there an ongoing problem? I am a paying customer.

I can’t even access this forum at times.
gabygaby

[Avatar]

Hello good afternoon.
I am also having certain problems with the waiting time, I would like to know if you could indicate solutions for this through this forum, thanks.

check my website
[WWW]
TVOLM

I am brand new to this Forum, so I hope I don't break any rules.

The main reason for creating this account was to reply on this issue, and find out if this server issue has also completely changed the map interface for this site???

I used this site one week ago (11/25/2020) and the chevron shaped icons on the map with the different colors to denote object type were on the map. The same as they have been for the last 6+ mos I've been using this site for a research project. There was also a tool to turn off/on each object type to work around the 100 object limit and turn off un-needed object types.

Suddenly, the icons are all teardrop in shape, and the tool to turn off/on the object types is gone. Symbols to denote different landmarks (bus/train stops, museums/government bldgs) are changed in color and shape. The maps seem different, without the clarity they had.

Nothing explains these changes, as the documentation available on the site still uses the original map layout.

Bottom line is this: Was the entire website changed, or did I screw something up? I need to know, because the map on this website is now a lot less useful, and will impact the project I'm working on.

Thank you for any information.
TVOLM

This is my 2nd attempted reply. Hope this one goes through.

I have been using this website for ~ 6 mos on a research project. The use of chevron shaped icons and different colors to denote different objects was very useful. I especially liked the Legend tool that allowed me to turn off different colored tiles. With the 100 object limit, I could focus the map on those object types I needed.

Until Nov 30, 2020. I used this website on Nov 27, and it was working normally. Suddenly, no more chevron icons, but now there were these teardrop icons. With the chevrons, you could mouse over the icon and see the data. Now I have to click on each teardrop to see the data. The Legend tool is gone.

This brings up questions:
1. New interface and working as intended? Then why was there no notice on the home page?
2. Related to the web service server issue that this forum chain references?
3. While I have not made any changes in browser or browser settings or any other configuration changes to the best of my knowledge, did I "fat finger" a change without realizing it?

Please reply as this website has been very useful for the research project, and I have not found any website that offers similar functionality.

TYVM
jesseneo

I think it's due to heavy traffic at certain times...
[WWW]
Islajack

[Avatar]

Sometimes it's happens, or probably it's a server time issue.

Forum Index -> General
Go to: