GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
RDF mapping mostly complete  XML
Forum Index -> General
zcw100

I think I finally have about 90% of the mapping down but I'm very curious about the lack of response to any questions about the rdf mappings. I don't get why this seems to be such a big secret. How am I supposed to use the data if I can't understand where exactly it comes from? Does anyone actually use the rdf data? It's hard to believe that they do with so few questions about it. And why can I get no response about how the mappings are generated? The data is right there online to download. I can't even get anyone to tell me, "Ya, it's a custom python script". I'm having to guess things like, "Oh ya, it looks like we lowercase it and replace spaces with dashes". Hope it get it right!

I might understand if your response was, "we don't really care about the rdf" because it seems like the main people working on that have moved on but if that's the case then why not share how it's being done so someone else can pick it up and at least do it for themselves?

The mappings are only the second step. It's astounding how many blogs and posts there are on loading the dump files into mysql or postgres but they generally seem to be only about 80%-95% complete with a hand waving the extra bits they either didn't need or didn't care about with many mistakes along the way.

Forum Index -> General
Go to: