GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
miss-match between "country code" and "timezone" in allCountries  XML
Forum Index -> General
ddonato

Hello,

I am not sure if this problem has been already discussed in a previous forum (sorry about that if this is the case) but I found a recurring issue with some locations. As the title of my post says, I found a miss-match between "country code" and "timezone" in the allCountries.zip file.

A couple of examples:

- "Xylophaghou" is a location (feature code PPL) in Cyprus and the assigned timezone is correctly "Asia/Nicosia", while the "country code" is wrongly assigned to GB

- "Chiesa di San Nicola da Tolentino" is a church (feature code CH) in Italy and the assigned "country code" is correctly IT, while the timezone is wrongly assigned to "Europe/Berlin"

Obviously the first example highlights a more serious problem than the second, in particular if someone if filtering locations based on the country code.

Best,
Davide
marc

Hi Davide

1) there are two areas on Cyprus which belong to the UK:
https://www.geonames.org/8306814/dhekelia.html
https://www.geonames.org/8306813/akrotiri.html
Xylophaghou is at the border and has indeed gotten the wrong countrycode. This is fixed now.

2) wrong indeed. will be fixed.

Marc

[WWW]
ddonato

Hi Marc, thanks for the prompt reply.

I wanted to mention though that yesterday I presented just two examples, to show what the problem looks like. BUT, there are plenty of other cases that are similar and need to be checked. For example, I counted ~160 cases for which the "country code" is GB while the timezone is not "Europe/London", but "Asia/Nicosia" or others. I know that some might be correct but most of them are definitively wrong.
Same goes for the IT country code against "Europe/Rome" timezone pairs.

I have not investigated the combinations of other country codes and time-zones, but I am guessing that this might be a recurrent problem.

Thanks a lot!

Davide

Forum Index -> General
Go to: