GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Duplicates or I'm I missing something?  XML
Forum Index -> General
ozzii

I've noticed in the GB.txt dump there seem to be a lot of duplicates, the only difference is that these rows have different feature codes and feature class but all admin codes are identical?

Below is a sample but I have over 7000 rows that are like this.

Code:

geonameid |    name      |  f_class  | f_code | country | admin1  |  admin2 | admin3  | admin4
     ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      2657876  |  Abbey Dore  |     P     |  PPLA3 |     GB  |   ENG   |     F7  | 00GA001 |
      7291410  |  Abbey Dore  |     A     |  ADM3  |     GB  |   ENG   |     F7  | 00GA001 |
      7296023  |   Bolton     |     A     |  ADM4  |     GB  |   ENG   |     C9  |   16UF  | 16UF008
      11592596 |   Bolton     |     P     |  PPL   |     GB  |   ENG   |     C9  |   16UF  | 16UF008

The problem is how can you build any meaningful autocomplete service if you search for a place and when you return the full concatenated place name with all admin levels the end user is having to select between two identical names?
marc

these are not duplicates.

the ones with fc=P are populated places whereas the fc=A are the corresponding admin divisions. There can also be a lot of other features within the same admin division.

Best Regards

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> General
Go to: