GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Real Name of the citie  XML
Forum Index -> General
dailyxe

One year passed since I asked a column with the name of a city (also country and admin div) in the language spoken in that city, or in other words, the REAL name; a column that is even more important than the column name, that contains often the name in english.

After painfull efforts you can obtain that informaion: from city you go to the country table, from there u take the language code, then you query the alternatenames table for that city and that language code(excluding the historical and slang names) and pray that the first result is the best one and correct.
But even after all this work (to obtain the most important information) you get poor results, because it could be wrong, it could not be the first result, there can be no names with that language code (even if the name is present but the lang is missing)

But nothin happened since my first thread, not a reply...
The truth is that it's impossible now, because it's too late !!!
You made a huge library but put the books in a random order !
And now the work is too big to be made !

Well you could at least start the job and make that collumn (or a specific boolean column in alternatenames if you are stupid), slowly the community will do the job...
hubilo

[Avatar]

While we think of this popular American city as Los Angeles or even the City of Angels, did you know its original name is much longer?
Images for real name of the city

All-in-one Event automation Platform.
[WWW]
marc

Thanks for calling us stupid, we take it as a compliment.

We are still waiting for your response to your last enquiry. We are so stupid that we don't understand the concept of 'local language'. I live in a country with four national official languages - what is the local or the real language?

Best Regards

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> General
Go to: