GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Full hierarchy dump  XML
Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Menno

Hi all,

I'm trying to get an initial load in our database to start using administrative structure on the platform. After lots of research I found that geonames is used in multiple applications around the world.

Than I tested to download the NL.zip, to check how it is structured and what the data quality is. But in this file there is a structure (when I combine it with the txt files admin2Codes and adminCodes. Example I used was city "Ter Aar" in Netherlands.

It should have a structure like:
Netherlands - Zuid Holland - Gemeente Nieuwkoop - Ter Aar
I'm missing the province in the data, but when I'm testing the REST API (hierarchy endpoint), it shows the correct structure. Why is the province not part of the full download, or do I miss something?

End result it to have an Excel file where every row represents one city in the world and every column is one step in administrative structure. Hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks a lot !
marc

Hi

http://www.geonames.org/2746478/ter-aar.html

The province is in the admincode1 with the value '11' and the municipality is in the admincode2 with the value '0569'.

You find the province as the record in the same file with the code NL.11 and feturecode ADM1 and the municipality as the feature with NL.11.0569 and featurecode ADM2.

Best Regards

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Go to: