GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Romania / romanian notes  XML
Forum Index -> Discussion of GeoNames Toponyms
endre84

The alternate names list contains some Cyrillic / russian names for countries for example:

cat dl/alternateNames.txt | grep 1149361 | grep ro
1561297 1149361 ro Afganistan
1973463 1149361 ro Афганистан

cat dl/alternateNames.txt | grep 732800 | grep ro
445289 732800 Narodna Republika Bŭlgariya
1559444 732800 ro Bulgaria
1973518 732800 ro Булгария

There are many more, this is not a comprehensive list. There are no Cyrillic characters in the romanian language.
endre84

While looking for ADM1, some counties are prefixed with "Judetul", some are not. "Judetul" just means county. For the sake of consistency they should all either be prefixed or not. (Would prefer not).
endre84

Capital related notes, maybe I'm misinterpreting the data. Would appreciate some info.
When looking for the capital (which is a city), I get Bucharest PPLC. All the other city names are in Romanian as opposed to English. What causes a bit of confusion is another row, "Bucuresti" listed as PPLA2 (in "Municipiul Bucuresti"). So to get a city, not administrative divisions, I should ignore PPLC? Checking HU.txt, the situation is not the same, there is only one "Budapest" (PPLC). Also the romanian version is "Bucureşti" not "Bucuresti".
endre84

665087 Timisoara (the city I live in) has some "hood" names listed as aliases.
Freidorf,Josefvarosa,Josephs-Stadt,Jozsefvaros,Jósefvárosa,Józsefváros,Kendetelep,Szabadfalu

Freidorf(ro/hu), Szabadfalu (hu) is a "hood", a part of Timisoara for ages, historically it has been a settlement, but not any more. Nobody refers to Freidorf as Timisoara or viceversa.

Jozsefvaros,Jósefvárosa,Józsefváros(hu), Iosefin (ro) is another "hood", has never been a settlement, nobody refers to Jozsefvaros as Timisoara or viceversa.

Kendetelep is a historic settlement (found some bit of info on google), never heard of it before, it's not a "hood" in Timisoara, nobody refers to Kendetelep as Timisoara or viceversa.

tmshwar,tymyshwara - I don't know what's with these alternate names, can't find them in alternatenames.txt. The only google results when searching for these are sites who probably use this same database.

When I mean "hood" - these are not official divisions in the city, they have no place in this datadump, unless you list hoods too.

684453 Bodo (grandparents are from there, have a weekend house there)
alias: Bara - this is a village a few km away, these two towns are not part of any common lower adm division, there are 2 towns in-between, they have never been merged historically.
alias: Colonia-Maghiara - this just means "hungarian colony" never heard any of the old folks refer to it like that, never heard the expression said there before. Historically the village was almost fully Hungarians. Looking on google gives no relevant results to this, maybe it just means that it's a hungarian colony, but there are several hungarian villages in the region which could be considered "hungarian colonies.
endre84

TL;DR;
6691781 Bucuresti / 683506 Bucharest possibly dupe
684453 Bodo probably useless alternate names - Bara Colonia-Maghiara,Colonia-Maghiară
665087 Timişoara listing hood names in alt names - Freidorf,Josefvarosa,Josephs-Stadt,Jozsefvaros,Jósefvárosa,Józsefváros,Kendetelep,Szabadfalu

Forum Index -> Discussion of GeoNames Toponyms
Go to: