GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Geonames data correctness  XML
Forum Index -> General
nickt

Hi

I've come across geonames from other users who have blogged about using your data for some apps, and my first impression was that it looks like a very useful data set. I downloaded the free data (IS.txt) to try out and have become quite concerned about the correctness of the data. This stops me going for the premium version, unless someone can confirm it is thus by design?

Maybe it is that I'm using the freely downloaded version rather than the paid version... if so, please let me know.
But so far my testing of some e.g. Icelandic data against Google Maps, I see a lot of data points being completely invalid.

Some examples:
1) Hornafjörður, 64.26124, -15.29203 -> gmaps shows in the middle of the sea about 50km away from the actual place
2) There is a farm feature at 66.15, -18.91667 called Hoefn. But then there is another farm in exactly same coordinates matching all decimals, called Hlidarhus. Which is it? gmaps shows nothing there, just a hill.

I know I'm not doing something wrong on my side as some places are correct e.g. 64.25388,-15.21212 is the city of Hofn indeed.

Then,
3) Doing a near search around the city of Hofn we come across 64.23411, -15.15936 which is described as a rocky mass called Tinganessker.
However these coordinates are in the middle of the sea in gmaps, so how can it be a rocky mass.

etc etc
marc

1) Which feature are you speaking of? Is it http://www.geonames.org/2630086/hornafjoerdur.html

2) Yes, some coordinates coming from nga are rounded.

There is no difference between free and premium for this.

Best Regards

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> General
Go to: