GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
admin2codes.txt - only US and BR areas in the file  XML
Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
olav

Hi!

I only find US and BR areas in the admin2codes.txt file. However, if I use the webservice and do a search on for instance a Norwegian post code, the admin2 name is included in the response.

Is there a complete list for the admin2 level available, or is the webservice my best option? I would like to build a hierarchical tree of continent-country-admin1-admin2, and it would be best to have the whole admin2 list on hand in my database.

Thanks for a great service!

Olav
Grimar

Yeah! Why not include the adm2 dataset into the field "admin2_code" in XX.zip and have a separate file with the complete list for those who use the "allCountries.zip" or something?
I really miss the ADM2 codes for Sweden and I would be more than happy if these codes were available. Then it will be easier to build hierarchical drop-down menus in input forms.

Is there any way you could email me these codes or do we have to wait until some kind of "final build" of these datasets which is certainly not going to happen as the steady stream of inputs to the database never are going to stop...

This service is truly the most addictable one I've ever seen.
Live long and prosper...

I don't get even, I get odder and
nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.
olav

Forgot to say that a webservice script that would accept area code as argument and return a list of administrative divisions would also work. Something like this: http://myfields.net/getnode.php?id=NO19 (only Norway and France in the database!)

Olav
marc

Hi

Grimar, I have added the codes for the admin2 divisions we already had in the main data base. You can help us checking if we have got all of them and if they are correct.

Olav, you can help us find the codes for the five admin2 divs we already have and I will then add the missing ones with an average lat/lng from the postal code data set.

We want to provide all the information you are asking for. It is a lot of work to organize all this information and we need all help possible. We are constantly working on it and improving. There will never be a 'final build' since this information constantly changes. Countries disappear completely while new ones are formed and even more changes happen on the lower admin levels.

Marc

[WWW]
Grimar

Hi Marc!
Check your mailbox!
I'v just emailed you the complete info for Sweden.
It contains both names and codes for Adm1, Adm2 AND Adm3.

Have a nice spring...

I don't get even, I get odder and
nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.
olav

Hi Marc

I am happy to help if I can, but I am not sure what you mean by "the five admin2 divs we already have". Where do I find them?

Olav
marc

Hi Olav

Ultimately we want to have all information in the main database. Here the information we already have in the main database :
http://www.geonames.org/search.html?q=adm2&country=NO
Those records don't have an admin2 code yet. We first have to find the codes for them and as a next step we can take all other admin regions from the postal code database and insert them in the main geonames database.

What I need is a short list with the geonameId on one side and the admin2 code on the other.

At the moment the postal codes database and the main geonames database are two different things and we need to merge them.

Marc

[WWW]
riri_rcl

Hi Marc,

I've just emailed you the mapping for France. (admin2_code <=> geonameid)

Cheers,

Richard
[Yahoo!]
isa

Hi, Marc:

I've just emailed you the mapping for SPAIN (admin2_code <=> geonameid)

Regards,
Isa
marc

In the last days I have updated ADM2 information for Spain,France, Sweden and Norway. Thanks to Isa, Richard, Grimar and Olav for providing the respective files.

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Go to: