GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
city local name column & requests  XML
Forum Index -> General
procsem

First congratulations for your extraordinary job, its the best db around!
I spent some time to understand how the db cities1500 and related works, there is all I need and more! But I have some request:

An example, for Rome I really need the local name 'Roma', now the local name is in the middle of the alternatenames column, with 10 others name. I really think a lot of other pepole need the local name of a city in a separate column. While Rome in japanese few cares....
Another example: pepole from Tokyo will look for theyr city searching 東京, again, this local name is in the alternatenames column.

I know that I can search in the alternatenames column cell, but this is a really a huge waste of performance, considering also how big the db is, and how important this information is.

Would really be a big improvement of the db if you take the local name form the alternatenames column and put it in a separate column.

Thanks !
procsem

More requests and, thinking again... A city local name IS the most important information because it's the real name of the city!!! It not just deserve its column but should be the column number one This is what i think. Anyway if for some reason you dont want to make this column, the local name could at least be (always) the first name of the fancy list of names in alternatenames col... because as of now that information is like missing for someone that doesnt know... for example: how do I know that the name of rome is 'roma' ?

More requests.
Like for cities, the local name of admin1( utf8 ).
The local name of countries
Single country file with only 15000+ cities
30000+ db ?

Thanks.

Forum Index -> General
Go to: