GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Kiev vs Kyiv City Admin1  XML
Forum Index -> General
ajbeaven

I'm a bit confused as to the difference between Kiev and Kyiv City administrative divisions. Perhaps this is a duplicate? According to this page (and wikipedia), there should only be one.

I wonder if this came about from an issue with translations? From what I understand Kiev is the Russian translation of Kyiv.
marc

Looks ok to me. The city proper has a special status and is therefore also classified as ADM1.

Marc

[WWW]
ajbeaven

Who determines what is an ADM1? I would have thought if a government website didn't list something as an administration division then it shouldn't be one.

I'd expect at the very least that they should use the same language ie. a Kyiv (admin division) and Kyiv City (special admin division?).

Sorry, if what I'm saying is completely illogical - I don't really have a great understanding of how this stuff works
deepblue

Just adding something to this. Right now, both the city (703448 ) and the ADM1 (690791) are named in geonames as 'Kyiv'. However, the countryInfoJSON API is still returning 'Kiev' for the capital, so there seems seems to be at least an inconsistency in that.

As for which one is right, according to wikipedia, since 1991 the official way seems to be Kyiv. If we follow the logic of Czechia (where the countries choice trumps the commonly used), then I suppose Kyiv should be the one.

Forum Index -> General
Go to: