GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Is TimeZoneID Always a Fixed Result for a Location?  XML
Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions
JanaB

My application needs to display a clock showing a user the current time for a customer based on the customer's address. So if I'm sitting in Arizona and getting ready to call a customer in Australia, I'd like to know what time it is in Australia right now so I don't call outside of their business hours. But I don't want to query GeoNames every time I pull up a customer record. I just want to do it once, get everything I need to calculate the customer's local time and be done

Australia currently observes DST from the first Sunday in October to the first Sunday in April.

My question is simple: When I query GeoNames and capture the TimeZoneID on say November 1st (while they're observing DST), would it give the exact same TimeZoneID also on June 15th (while they're NOT observing DST)? And is this the case always for the TimeZoneID, that it is fixed and is not date/time specific?

Thanks, I've been scouring the forum and just can't seem to get a definitive answer. Or I'm just not savvy enough to understand the answers I'm reading.

Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions
Go to: