GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Great Service, but....  XML
Forum Index -> General
Anonymous

I like your service a lot, but the full text search is too slow (sometimes) for our purposes. We do not need batch queries. Do you have a faster pay version, or are you willing to make your code public?

We could download your database, but then we'd have to recreate your parser, etc, which we'd rather not do.
marc

The full text search should have response times of not more than a couple of milliseconds. On the online (html) interface there is also a spell checker which kicks in if no results are found. The current implementation of the spell checker ("did you mean ... ") is not really fast (up to one second). Depending on the query term 'no rows found' may also result in a call to the yahoo geocoder web service.
If you use the full text search xml web service no other services are involved and you should get response times of maximal a couple of milliseconds.

Do you have an example of a slow search? I would like to investigate further.

Of course it would be possible for us to run it on a faster server as a commercial version. But as explained above, I am confident to get fast response time with the free version of the service.

Marc
[WWW]
Anonymous

You are right. Faster would be better, but this service is definitely pretty quick.

We were using the Ontok geocoder as a first step for zip codes and addresses, and they were the source of the latency... they can take forever sometimes, even with the paid service.

Sorry, there was some miscommunication on our end, I was told we had dropped Ontok entirely, and were just using your service.

We sort of solved the problem by calling your service before Ontok, but if yours returns not results, it can take Ontok a long time before it returns no results as well.... but, for most addresses, zip codes, etc, yours returns nothing quickly, and then Ontok finds something relatively quickly.

Thanks for the gret service.

Forum Index -> General
Go to: