GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Postal code search returns error message 22  XML
Forum Index -> Postal Codes
omorin

My customer is using nearby Postal code searches to from GeoNames. It used to work, but now we seem to get the following errors:

<geonames><status message="the free servers are currently overloaded with requests." value="22"/></geonames>

or

<geonames><status message="ERROR: canceling statement due to statement timeout" value="12"/></geonames>

The first message indicates that they might use the service too frequently.

According to documentation:

"30'000 credits daily limit per application (identified by the parameter 'username'), the hourly limit is 2000 credits." and "findNearbyPostalCodes: 2 credits per request, 3 credits for more than 500 records"

This indicates that their usage may be too high, but then I presumed that it should stop working after a while each day, not totally? Also error 22 indicates something else...

Where can we turn/ask to find out how many credits the concerned customer uses each day?
marc

Both error messages mean that the free servers are overloaded. This does not necessarily mean that it is your fault.
If it happens more frequently we will have to further reduce the max allowed credits per user. However, I assume you are using the old servers instead of the new domain api.geonames.org:
http://geonames.wordpress.com/2011/01/28/application-identification-for-free-geonames-web-services/

The old servers are not yet limiting by application identification and are much more often overloaded.

For professional applications we recommend the premium services:
http://www.geonames.org/commercial-webservices.html

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> Postal Codes
Go to: