GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
New South Wales (Australia) has lost its children... ?  XML
Forum Index -> Discussion of GeoNames Toponyms
geonameguy

Checking the GeoTree view of New South Wales, Australia (2155400), there are just nine (9) children.

However, previously, there were many cities underneath 2155400.

In fact even now, if you search for Broulee (2173824), you will find a city that still refers to New South Wales as its parent.

Compare the following GeoTrees:

1. http://geotree.geonames.org/2155400/ (shows 9 cities beneath NSW)
2. http://geotree.geonames.org/2173824/ (shows many cities beneath NSW)

Also the "children" service for 2155400 returns just 9 items.

Why have so many towns and cities been removed from GeoTree #1, and why aren't they returned in the children service for 2155400 -- ?

Thanks!
marc

The geotree displays ADM2 as the children of ADM1. The 9 cities you see are the corresponding ADM2, the cities you are missing don't yet have a corresponding ADM2 in the database.
It is possible that the geotree in an earlier version displayed the PPL not associated to an ADM2 as children of the ADM1.

To fix this for Australia we should update all ADM2. Do you know of a good source (preferably polygons). In the wake of the new open data policy in Australia I would expect the data to be now available somewhere.

Best

Marc

[WWW]
geonameguy

Well, I'm a little puzzled here.

If you're looking for a source for cities, perhaps (though who knows) this may be of help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Australia#New_South_Wales

But again, the Geonames database itself contains many many cities previously under New South Wales, which are now orphaned for no apparent reason. Why not simply reconnect those, if they have been improperly severed?
marc

1. I don't see any adm2 relations on this wikipedia page
2. I am interested in real data not html wikipedia pages. For instance boundary polygons for adm2 divisions.
3. feel free to update the adm2 yourself: http://www.geonames.org/manual.html - Who, if not you? When, if not now?

[WWW]
geonameguy

> 1. I don't see any adm2 relations on this wikipedia page

I didn't offer that as a complete solution; if I had a complete solution I wouldn't post here in the first place...

> 2. I am interested in real data not html wikipedia pages. For instance boundary polygons for adm2 divisions.

I am not a geographic data expert, I am a paying customer for your licensed product. I shouldn't have to delve into this level of detail to report a problem and invite a solution. I can't exactly demand you provide a solution (I realize that's not in the terms of your service), but on the other hand should I as a customer expect a demand that I be the resource who provides technically complete data?

> 3. feel free to update the adm2 yourself: http://www.geonames.org/manual.html - Who, if not you? When, if not now?

Who if not me? How about someone who really understands the technicalities of geonames, its data structure, mission, and so on. Maybe you? Maybe a happy volunteer who does have these answers (which I don't)?

When if not now? You tell me...

I understand this is a proto-volunteer project in some respects. Perhaps I have misread your various comments but in the past it seemed as though you cared about the quality of data and paying customers. Maybe I've misunderstood the nature of your organization.

m.
marc

I am sorry I had no idea you were a premium users. The thread is about the geotree which is not a premium product.
I don't think any city was disconnected from the adm1. The geotree is just not displaying them. You can build it differently using the webservice.

Best

Marc

[WWW]
geonameguy

I honestly don't understand.

We pay a yearly fee to access the Web service.

The cities that previously were correctly attached are now no longer attached.

I don't know where I'm supposed to post an inquiry into this.

I don't have any idea what it means to say "you can build it differently using the web service."

I think you are assuming far too much familiarity on my own part, with your own internal process of doing updates.

If this is a self-service operation, at least point me to the documents where I can help get this fixed?
marc

What I am saying is that NOTHING HAS CHANGED, we therefore cannot 'reattach' something that still is attached.

You insist on something being reattached that has never been touched or modified.

How can we help you if we don't understand what you are speaking of? How do you use geonames if you are not using the web services?

Marc

[WWW]
geonameguy

Please see my original report in this thread, where I explained what's not attached and what seems like it ought to be.

I clearly point out the parent-child relationships of two GeoTree nodes that, although I am showing you this in GeoTree form, is evident in the Web services queries for hierarchy and children.

I'm not sure what else I could tell you to help you understand. It seems painfully clear to me that I have illustrated the nature of the problem, in the most plain terms with examples, and yet on the other side of this equation you are making very cryptic or blunt statements expecting me to have intricate, arcane knowledge of how the repair ought to be performed.

Whether something has changed or not (according to my records it has), I have plainly explained what's missing by the two examples.

I'm sorry if it's not enough. It's the best I could do.
marc

geotree displays ADM2 features per default on the second level. In Australia those are the 'Local Government Areas'.
The second link is actually a link to a city and geotree in this case displays up to 999 cities including the selected one.

The webservices give you the possibility to design your system exactly as you like. If you don't like the way geotree is designed you are free to do it differently.

Best

Marc

[WWW]
geotree

[Avatar]

Use this syntax to browse australian populated places (PPL) by first level administrative division (ADM1):

http://geotree.geonames.org/?id=AU&find=ADM1:PPL

See GeoTree usage and examples for more options.

Christophe
geotree.geonames.org
geotree.geonames.org/geotree.html
[WWW]
marc

In the meantime I have found the adm2 boundary polygons for Australia. The LGA (Local Governent Areas=ADM2) have been inserted and the corresponding admincode2 for the other features has been updated.

[WWW]

Forum Index -> Discussion of GeoNames Toponyms
Go to: