GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Turkish Lat/Lons  XML
Forum Index -> Postal Codes
rlevering

These appear highly inaccurate or something weird is going on. Search for Istanbul and see all the postal codes in Istanbul province (Istanbul = Adm1). I haven't found a single one yet that's actually in the Istanbul province. This leads me to believe there's some serious data problem here, either with the adm columns or the lat/lons.
marc

I will add a warning to the readme that the lat/lng are far from perfect. At the moment I don't see how they could be improved with the data available.

Marc

[WWW]
rlevering

Yeah, I'd go so far as to say they are flat out wrong.

Though, I guess they are all within Turkey of the ones I've checked. I guess that's something .

So you're sure there isn't some import problem, the underlying data is like this?
marc

there is no single 'underlying' data set. It is a combination of different datasets and the available data does not allow for better matching.

Marc

[WWW]
onur

I don't think there's an accuracy problem in this data set, as all 51,193 points are in Turkey. Of 28 locations in Istanbul, 2 (Anadolufeneri Köyü and İmrendere Köyü) are actually have correct coordinates.

I believe something got mixed and now we see some random, but still in Turkey, coordinates. Is there a way to go down to the source and fix this?

Forum Index -> Postal Codes
Go to: