GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Italy adm3  XML
Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Pegli

[Avatar]

Hallo, I'm trying to update informations about my town (Genova, Italy).

In an old post (http://forum.geonames.org/gforum/posts/list/416.page) I read that "there is a big problem if you consider COMUNI as ADM3. In fact now in Italy and either in Spain we have 2 geonamesid for the same place: one for PPL another for ADM3".

Is that still true?

I see that many locations in Liguria (doesn't know much about other regions) are listed without any ADM3 id. Is it a problem if I update those I know for sure (I live there)?

Regarding the "part of / contains" function, could I edit it, listing smaller fractions as part of the major neighboroughs they belongs?

PS: sorry for my English!!!
marc

Populated places and administrative divisions are two different concepts. Several villages can be united in the same administrative division. The poster of the thread is wrong, there are two ids but for two different things.

The part of / contains feature is meant exactly to model dependencies of neighbourhoods to cities, or from hotels to neighbourhoods/city etc.

Best

Marc

[WWW]
Pegli

[Avatar]

marc wrote:
The part of / contains feature is meant exactly to model dependencies of neighbourhoods to cities 

Thanks Marc, I'm working on it.

I've just a question.

My town, Genova, has lots of neighboroods (most of them once were indipendent "comuni", and now they are under the largest Comune of Genova). They are about thirty, each one with smaller unities under itself.

What is the best way to organize them? Simply listing them under ADM1 (Liguria), ADM2 (Provincia of Genova) and ADM3 (Comune of Genova), or it should be better to edit also "part of", inserting them under "Genova"??

For now I'm using the first option, using "part of" just for linking the smaller unities to the main neighboroughs. But it wont be a problem to correct them all.

Regarding this work, is it possible to update the "geotree" page?

For example, I fixed the entries for Pegli, that is under the Comune of Genova, but absolutely not under Voltri (they are both neighboroughs, exactly at the same level of hierarchy), as geotree indicates:
http://geotree.geonames.org/3171309/.

Thank you again,
Fabio
marc

Hi Fabio

The standard hierarchical relation are the admin codes (ADM1,ADM2,ADM3, or even deeper in some countries).
The part-of relation is meant for relations not covered by this standard mechanism, the smaller unities you mention. Like a neighborhood in a city. Or it can also be used for parallel hierarchies, like touristic regions that are not directly correlating with a ADMx.

I have changed the config of geotree to point to the same server the website is running on, so there should no longer be any synchronization issues.

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Go to: