GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Commercial licensing  XML
Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions
SangreNegra

Am I free to use Geonames data (the database dump, not the webservices)
in our own commercial webportal?
And if, what constraints in terms of licensing do we have.
Any licensing fees we have to pay or do we have to mention Geonames.org?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards Johannes

Best regards Johannes
[WWW] [ICQ]
marc

The data is licensed under a cc-by license:
http://www.geonames.org/export/#terms

You don't have to pay license fees, you are allowed to use it for a commercial website. All you have to do is to give credit (a link or some other reference).

Marc

[WWW]
Manfred

I have a similar question, but in my case it´s about using parts of Geoname data for a commercial software project. Is it okay to use Geoname data in such kind of commercial environment, when I display a notice in the about-window (e.g. "Geographical data based on data from Geonames" or something like this, with a link to the Geonames web site)?

Manfred
marc

Sure, Manfred. This is ok.

Marc

[WWW]
abdulqadir

Hi,

Thanks for providing a great service.

I intend to use the information internally, in a commercial application that makes maps.

Is it enough if I add attribution to geonames from the application's about section, or do I need to add attribution on every map I distribute? Unfortunately, adding a link or notice on every map would not be a feasible option for me.

Thanks
marc

the attribution on the about page or similar is sufficient.

Marc

[WWW]
georgiaangelaki

Hallo, we are a non-for-profit and we enrich millions of cultural heritage metadata records with Geonames. We want to make available the data under a CC0 license for everyone to benefit from re-use.
I am sorry I am not technical, so I hope I am properly understood. i understand that we can either republish the data after we have enriched it with Geonames with allows for greater functionality, or by simply linking to Geonames, which is a better form of attribution through citation.

My question is whether we can publish the data after we have enriched it with Geonames values under a CC-0 license and if attribution simply in the "about the data" page as well as in the "header" of our API is sufficient.

Thank you!
marc

Hi Georgia

Yes, you are allowed to enrich the data and mention geonames in the about page and some sort of header.

Best Regards

Marc

[WWW]
Al Hart

Marc,

From what I have read so far is that the Premium service has the "better" data. The project http://openrelief.org/ through http://eden.sahanafoundation.org/ retrieves online information from the Geonames database. Would it be correct to say that a complete download of the data onto their own servers would be of benefit. If so is there a way to automaticaly update the data changes made to the Geonames database on a regular basis if the Premium Service is purchased. Any idea what the size of the full database is after unzipping all the downloads ?

Alan

marc

Hi Alan

The premium web services are using the premium data. There is no benefit for the premium data vs the premium web service. The premium data release has a modification file with the modifications since the previous release. Similar to the daily free extract which has the modifications since the previous day.
The size of the premium data is comparable to the free version. Please note that the premium data only includes the gazetteer data, the web services have additional services based on other data.

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions
Go to: