GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Get the bounding for Earthquake web Service  XML
Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions
nirmal1349

Hi All,
I have been trying to call earthquake web service, 'Url : ws.geonames.org/earthquakesJSON?'. This web service requires parameters as: north,south,east,west : coordinates of bounding box. I have created a web page that takes the name of the city and should return a list of earthquake points in that city. I first call 'searchJSON?' to get the latitude and longitutde. Now, in order to get the bounding box coordinates, I can make use of 'findNearByPlaceNameJSON' to get the population. How do I find out the radius of the city which I can use to add and subtract from latitude and longitude from the given population. I tried other stuffs from net and nothing seems to be giving me an accurate answer.
Please, provide me with some feedback or insight so that I can proceed further.
marc

I doubt there are so many earthquakes within a city to waste time with the exact boundaries. Even if you had the exact boundaries it does not matter as the center of the earthquake may be outside the city ans still cause damage and destruction.

Marc

[WWW]
nirmal1349

Hi Marc,
I understand your point but then the earthquake web service, ws.geonames.org/earthquakesJSON? takes only the bounding box as parameters. So, what do you recommend should be the approach to this problem?
marc

I think you are the only one to know this, it depends on your application and how you want to present it to the user.

Marc

[WWW]
nirmal1349

Hi Marc,
I thought the simplest way to go around this problem would be to make 2 of the 4 bounding box paramters set to 0. So for example, let's say my search for a city gives me lat=40N and lon=-70E. Then I would pass in the following parameters:
north=40
west=0
east=-70
south=0. I dont want to assume any radius and calculate the parameters as it would be inaccurate.
Let me know your thoughts.

Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions
Go to: