GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
"Arrondissements" of Paris changed from PPLX to PPL !!  XML
Forum Index -> General
zeb

Why did the arrondissements of Paris changed from PPLX to PPL ?

As subdivisions of Paris, these geonames should be PPLX, just as Lyon and Marseille subdivisions do.

I cannot edit the geonames to revert the change.
May anyone here fix this ?
geotree

[Avatar]

"Arrondissements municipaux" of Paris/Lyon/Marseille have a special status
and can be considered as distinct "cities" with their own insee code (ADM4).
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrondissement_de_Paris

It is the reason why we are changing arrondissements of Paris from PPLX to PPL linked to each ADM4 from 75101 to 75120.

Each "quartier" becomes a PPLX linked to appropriate PPL.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartiers_administratifs_de_Paris

Is there a major reason why you want to revert the change ?

Christophe
geotree.geonames.org
geotree.geonames.org/geotree.html
[WWW]
zeb

The reason why I would revert the arrondissement to PPLX is to differentiate the city "Paris" from its arrondissements when searching a city by name. I usually remove PPLX from search results, and it usually is ok.

With arrondissements being PPL, it's quite impossible to differentiate the whole city of Paris from its subdivision.

From an administrative (A) point of vue, sure you're right, arrondissements have a special meaning in France; but for a population (P) point of vue, they don't really have (I live in Paris XI, work in Paris II...)
Furthermore, since arrondissements are subdivisions of the city, I really think they enter in the PPLX category.

I tried to rely on the link with ADM4 for arrondissements, but Paris is also linked to an ADM4, so...

Does that mean the only way to differentiate Paris for its arrondissements is to create an exception for Paris case ?
Why Lyon and Marseille keep the (correct in my opinion) PPLX-way ?

Thanks for your reply.
geotree

[Avatar]

The reason why I would revert the arrondissement to PPLX is to differentiate the city "Paris" from its arrondissements when searching a city by name. I usually remove PPLX from search results, and it usually is ok.

With arrondissements being PPL, it's quite impossible to differentiate the whole city of Paris from its subdivision.  

A simple rule : remove places with name containing digit

From an administrative (A) point of vue, sure you're right, arrondissements have a special meaning in France; but for a population (P) point of vue, they don't really have (I live in Paris XI, work in Paris II...)
Furthermore, since arrondissements are subdivisions of the city, I really think they enter in the PPLX category. 

20 Arrondissements = PPL
80 Quartiers = PPLX

I tried to rely on the link with ADM4 for arrondissements, but Paris is also linked to an ADM4, so...

Does that mean the only way to differentiate Paris for its arrondissements is to create an exception for Paris case ? 

Either you talk about Paris (75056) with "Mairie de Paris"
or Paris 09 (75109) with "Mairie du 9e", etc

Why Lyon and Marseille keep the (correct in my opinion) PPLX-way ?

Thanks for your reply. 

Still in progress

Christophe
geotree.geonames.org
geotree.geonames.org/geotree.html
[WWW]

Forum Index -> General
Go to: