GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
what are the "feature codes" used in GeoNames?  XML
Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions Go to Page: Previous  1, 2
PaulC

Thanks Marc, already changed California Adventure, but am still unable to change Disneyland. When I get a minute, I'll add a few others.

Yep, there's certainly plenty of feature codes I don't see myself ever using, but I imagine they came from the metadata definitions of the sources you're pulling from. No biggie, the only downside is the additional clutter it adds to the web UI.

Paul
PaulC

By the way, can I also request the following featurecodes?
  • Public Restroom

• Public Telephone

• First Aid Station

I've been looking at amusement park maps again , and while I see a code for ATM, I didn't see the others, and they seem generally applicable.

Perhaps something else worth considering - disinguishing those that are equipped for disabled/deaf people from those that are not.

Paul
PaulC

Another just occurred to me: 'Taxi Rank', a place where taxis congrigate to wait for passengers, e.g. outside airports, some large hotels, convention centers, etc. If you're on foot in an unfamiliar city, knowing the nearest place to find taxis is very useful information.

I also don't see a featurecode for 'Convention Center' / 'Exhibition Hall', now I think about it.

Paul
crazy-forrest

[Avatar]

Providing the GeoNames in a flat format is fine for the ease of access, and shipping of data (downloads, etc.) and there really is no reason that a particular feature should NOT have multiple codes if that is appropriate.

For example: Pikes Peak, CO - USA would be appropriate both as a Class L (a type of park or delineated area), and Class T (a Geological Prominence)

I think that expands on some of the comments in this thread. I would like to propose better descriptions for these classes, which might make them easier to use and understand - I am using the following descriptors in my application:

FetClass // FetType
n NULL
U Aquatic Feature - Submerged
H Aquatic Feature - Surface
A Political Boundary
P Populated Area
S Structure
L Terrain Feature - Delineated Area
T Terrain Feature - Geological Prominence
V Terrain Feature - Vegitation & Agriculture
R Transportation Infrastructure
tm1978

Assuming you want to delete all entries that are no locations (village, town, city, area, region, country), which ones would that be?

e.g. delete from geoname where featureCode not in (ppl,...) ?
marc

To keep only populated places and administrative divisions you should delete everything that is not of featureclass P or A.

Best Regards

Marc

[WWW]
mibl

Hi

I'm new to using this services. I test the findNearbyPOIsOSM service, and I get answer with these tags:

<typeClass>amenity</typeClass>
<typeName>bank</typeName>

<typeClass>amenity</typeClass>
<typeName>bar</typeName>

<typeClass>tourism</typeClass>
<typeName>attraction</typeName>

<typeClass>shop</typeClass>
<typeName>boutique</typeName>

When I look into feature classes and feature codes, I can̈́'t find it in these file. I can̈́'t find it in userTags file too.

It means, that it exist any other system of classes a and types for POIs? How can I get this file? It is possible?

Thanks!

Best Regards
Mirek
marc

Mirek

OSM is a project of its own and not related to geonames.
I have exported the codes here:
http://www.geonames.org/export/poi_types.csv

It is pretty chaotic as it is is a crowd-source database.

Best

Marc

[WWW]
netvandal

marc wrote:
There are currently 649 feature codes and 9 feature classes.

Under consideration :
S.GAS = A filling station, fueling station, gas station or petrol station is a facility which sells fuel and lubricants for motor vehicles. The most common fuels sold are gasoline (petrol) or diesel fuel.
S.PUB = Pub or Bar, an establishment which serves alcoholic drinks especially beer for consumption on the premises
S.CAFE = Café, A coffeehouse, coffee shop, or cafe. focus on providing coffee and tea as well as light snacks. Food choices range from pastries and muffins to soups and sandwiches.
S.SPMKT = Supermarket or Hypermarket. departmentalized self-service store offering a wide variety of food and household merchandise.
S.CINE = Cinema, movie hall.

any news on this?
chukko

Guys. Any suggestion what feature code could i use for junction of hiking trails resp. guideposts?
Currently for junctions there are only roadjunctions available (R.RDJCT).
For guideposts the closes feature code is beacon - but this does not seem very adequate.

Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions Go to Page: Previous  1, 2
Go to: