GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
feature classes explanation  XML
Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
NAZ

Hi,

I am quite new to geoNames. I downloaded the AllCities>1000 and AllCountires files. They seem to contain lots of useful information.

I have a large list of people's locations (1G) and trying to assign the Administrative divisions to my dataset according to the two files downloded from Geonames.

I am having difficulty getting my head around the feature classes used in geoNames table.

If some one can refer me to a place which I can read about the following classes would be very useful.

P.PPL befolkad plats a city, town, village, or other agglomeration of buildings where people live and work
P.PPLA säte för en första ordningens administrativ enhet seat of a first-order administrative division (PPLC takes precedence over PPLA)
P.PPLA2 seat of a second-order administrative division
P.PPLA3 seat of a third-order administrative division
P.PPLA4 seat of a fourth-order administrative division
P.PPLC huvudstad i politisk enhet
P.PPLF farm village a populated place where the population is largely engaged in agricultural activities
P.PPLG säte av ledningen för en politisk enhet
P.PPLL befolkad ort an area similar to a locality but with a small group of dwellings or other buildings
P.PPLQ tidigare befolkad plats
P.PPLR religiös befolkad plats a populated place whose population is largely engaged in religious occupations
P.PPLS befolkade platser cities, towns, villages, or other agglomerations of buildings where people live and work
P.PPLW förstörd befolkad plats a village, town or city destroyed by a natural disaster, or by war
P.PPLX del av befolkad plats
P.STLMT israelisk bosättning

I need some explanation about the above abbreviations (especially those not in English). Can they be associated with Country, County, City, Town and Village heirarchy? Are they in any sort of order?

Any help and comment is highly appreciated.

Cheers
Naz...
marc

why don't you use the english version of the document?

Marc

[WWW]
NAZ

I think I am using the english versin. How about the orders of the most populated place then?
marc

there is no order.

Marc

[WWW]
NAZ

I see. If there is no order can you explain what it means when its mentioned that "PPLC takes precedence over PPLA). It takes precedence regarding what criteria then?

Thanks
geotree

[Avatar]

NAZ wrote:
what it means when its mentioned that "PPLC takes precedence over PPLA). 

It means that a PPLC is also a PPLA.
Ex: Paris is a capital (PPLC) and also seat of a first-order administrative division (PPLA)

Christophe
geotree.geonames.org
geotree.geonames.org/geotree.html
[WWW]

Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Go to: