GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Open source / free address validation services  XML
Forum Index -> Postal Codes
bhaguan

Hi all , is anyone aware of any open source / free software / web services providing quality address validation ?
A commercial example is : http://www.addressdoctor.com

I am part way into setting one up , and am interested in the efforts of others.
marc

Hi bhaguan

I don't believe it is possible to provide open source address validation. The data required to do this is far too expensive and comes with a lot of licence restrictions.

Regards

Marc

[WWW]
Anonymous

Not possible !
Never.
All it takes is someone stubbern enough, thats me .
I in fact already have a substantial portion of the required dataset to provide a fairly comprehensive package for Australia , and the US, the main problem I am having is that I simply dont have the time I need to get/decifer/extract the postal code information for every country on an individual basis.
I have found the raw datasets for many countries, but of cource every one of them is in a completely different format. This is why I was hoping to have a look at the current geonames.org postal code dataset, I figured youve already been there, and it would save me the efort , at least for whatever countries you have postal code info for, of standardising all these datasets.
bhaguan

DOUP. ^^ that was me , forgot to log on.
samokk

Hi,

the required information is available for some countries.. For the US, for instance :
http://geocoder.us/

This Perl script uses the TIGER dataset (more information on this website).. And too bad for the poor of us who live in countries that do not provide data for free.....

Sami Dalouche
samokk

Just a question, though -

Are you looking for address geocoding, or zip code to city translation ? If you only care about zipcode, then the geonames zip code data is a starting dataset.

However, there isn't any mapping between geonames city's IDs and geonames zip codes, but I am planning to work on that (probably using a combination of GIS lat/long distance matching + fuzzy matching) whenever I have time (might be this week, next week, or later....). I'll sure share the resulting dataset with geonames users, once I get something to work

Regards,
Sami Dalouche
jwnacnud

If you are looking for postal address verification, it typically comes in two types:

List Scrubbing (for batch processing a list, usually an excel or .csv file)

or

Live Address Verification (this would be a web-service API that you plug into your web application or website to verify addresses in near real-time)

Both services are valuable and distinct. Because the Live Address verification has to be always on and have near zero latency, it tends to cost a little more than the List Scrubbing service.

Free is harder to find, as there are costs such as licensing required in order to have up-to-date address data. Many companies offer a free trial or a version that is limited to just a few searches per day. We now have a free account (up to 250 per month) that gives you access to our API.

If you are a non-profit or educational organization, you can get unlimited access to the address verification services by SmartyStreets.

I work for SmartyStreets, which provides postal address verification.

--update-- our services are now only free to startups (for the first year).

Forum Index -> Postal Codes
Go to: