GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
I need the bounding box of a city ,.. please help!!  XML
Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions
withoutvice

I need to get results for the bounding box of a city so that I can use the geonames earthquake service. My site allows the user to enter a city and then uses the earthquake service, but in order to use that I need a bounding box for the parameters and I dont know how to get those values. Ive seen an old post saying nearbyplaces would help but the only value I saw there was distance and I dont know what this value is for. I would think that it would be the radius but I am unsure. If I have the radius all I need is the latitude and longitude which I can get from geonames for a city and add that radius to the lat and lng, but that value could be a diameter also or some other value. I need my results to be accurate. Please any assistance would be greatly appreciated because I need this for an important project for my job.
marc

There aren't so many earthquakes that you would need the bounding box of a city. Just take your lat/lng and add +-x to both numbers to get a bounding box.

Marc

[WWW]
withoutvice

but where do I get the value of x for the bounding box, is it the distance value in the nearbyplace service?, or is it some other value that Im overlooking?
saad786

withoutvice wrote:
but where do I get the value of x for the bounding box, is it the distance value in the nearbyplace service?, or is it some other value that Im overlooking?

hi,
did you get it what are the values of x and y?
saphir

Hi Saad

For bounding box generalities see this thread >>> http://forum.geonames.org/gforum/posts/list/1553.page

An earthquake box is not easy to delimitate and not beeing inundated with useless records. Common sense does not help without having a look on a topographic or submarine map (e.g. GoogleEarth), the relevant distances are too widely spread.

Scientists give the position of an earthquake by its epicenter... which may be far away from the city that gave the quake its name or where most of the destructions happened to be >>>

The epicenter of The Great 1906 San Francisco Earthquake is said to have been only some few kilometers off the city.

The recent disastrous Japanese 9.0-earthquake is known as Fukushima Earthquake (for the province with the wrecked nuclear plants) or Tohoku Earthquake (for the region facing the epicenter).
The epicenter was offshore some 160km off the wrecked plants and some 80km off the nearest Tohoku coastline.

Regards
Urs

Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions
Go to: