GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Železničné Stanice  XML
Forum Index -> Discussion of GeoNames Toponyms
Dan

I noticed couple of toponyms starting "Železničné Stanice". This means "railroad station" but the spelling is incorrect. Correct is "Železniční stanice" (note the accute i and the lowercase s). I corrected some occurrences I came across but as this seems to be a global problem, is there a way how to do it in a batch? All affected toponyms would be in Czechia and all would be in the railroad-station category.
[WWW]
marc

Dan

I have updated 64 records with a batch and one manually. (there was another misspeller, so this station escaped the batch : name:Želeničné Stanice Golčŭv Jeníkov>Železniční stanice Golčŭv Jeníkov)

Marc

[WWW]
Dan

Great, thanks!

Your extra example makes me suggest another batch correction. "Golčŭv Jeníkov" should actually read "Golčův Jeníkov" and this is also something I have seen several times elsewhere. Seems like some of your sources consistently use "ŭ" instead of "ů". You can safely replace ŭ by ů anywhere in CZ provided it's in the main name and not in a foreign-language alternate name. The former is not in the Czech alphabet.

Some other thing I've been correcting repeatedly are wrongly capitalized words inside of a toponym. Czech does not routinely capitalize every word in a name like English. This is a little bit more tricky, since different conventions hold for populated places and different for natural features like streams or mountains. So, a mountain shall be "Krušná hora" but same-named settlement shall be "Krušná Hora". Even a second word in a name of a mountain will be sometimes capitalized if it is derived from another toponym and not a common noun. However, I feel pretty confident that at least the words "hora" and "vrch" in mountain/hill names, and the words "potok", "říčka", "řeka", "jezero", "nádrž" in stream/lake names shall be lowercase - as long as it's Czech and they are not the first word in the name.

Best,
Dan
[WWW]
marc

19 records have just been updated with a replacement of ŭ by ů. All using your userid.

67 records with featureclass=T: Hora > hora
76 records with featureclass=T: Vrch > vrch
140 records with featureclass=H: Potok > potok
14 records with featureclass=H: Nádrž> nádrž
5 records with featureclass=H: Jezero> jezero

I found only one with Řeka and none with Říčka. Is it possible I am using the wrong uppercase Variant for ř?

[WWW]
Dan

Thank you, marc! Don't worry about "Řeka"/"Říčka". Frankly, I had not seen these two in the data, I only tried to come up with all possible terms I could think of. So your Ř is probably not the cause.

Dan
[WWW]

Forum Index -> Discussion of GeoNames Toponyms
Go to: